Reel size/weight

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I don't know about anyone else here, but sometimes I feel like even though a reel might say 3/4 weight, they often feel like they should go with a 5 or 6 weight rod.

I find this especially true with large arbor reels.

I have a Redington CD 3/4 reel with a TfO 7'9" 4 weight and it feels a little big.

I also have an OKuma Integrity 5/6 weight reel and it seems a good fit for my 9'0" 7 weight bass rod.

I also have a White River Classic reel (which is quite small and has a decent drag)on a small rod which I may use on my TfO this year. I figure if I buy a 9'0" 4 or 5 weight in the future I'll save the money and use the Redington 3/4 on it.

Seems like a lot of the time unless your spending big bucks, a lot of reels are heavy for their line weight rating.

look at how much metal is in a lg. arbor, plus the drags have alot more weight. to keep flexing down the metal has to be thicker, and heavier. then they machine as much out of them as possible to lighten them. then they add a sealed drag with stainless steel(heavy) system with steel ball bearings(heavy). if you are looking for a lighter and smaller reel, look to a standard reel with a cork or click drag. all you need for trout any ways. I have a redington AL3/4 which I used on a 6wt. for steelhead out west. to much metal for a lighter rod. problem is the dia. is small for a 6wt. holds 125 yds. of gel spun backing..lost a nice steelhead 15lb+ on it, freight trained down stream.

Attachments

• 273.jpg
    273.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 2
I just use the reel ratings as a guideline. Many FFers rotely buy a reel based on the line wt rating that's way too light or heavy for their rod. Fishing a rod all day that is balanced is a pleasure vs. one that's either tip or butt heavy.

First, make sure the reel holds your flyline an adequate amount of backing, and secondly, look for a reel that balances out your rod at the point where you normally grip it for casting/fishing.

Today, there are many brands and models of reels; with a little research, you can find one that works best on your rod. Sandy gave some good info on trout reels, the simpler ones may be the better ones.

as sandy mentioned , i use click and pawl on short rods , some 3/4 weights are made for a long 3/4 wt rod while other are made for short 3/4 rods , no need in my opinion for a large arbor on a small 7' rod , never have enough line out to need the quick pickup , or never a long enough cast to need to strip line out in a hurry.

I go more by reel diameter and weight to determine what line goes on it.

I have a 3/4 wt. with a 2 wt. line.
5/6 with a 4wt. and a
4-6 with an 8 wt.

If you guys would invest in a bargain 9 foot bamboo, which all claim to be to cumbersome and clunky, then balance that rod with the reel under the old guidelines, you would be pleasantly surprised.

As I remember the balance point should be about 6 to 12 inches from the front of the grip??

not the greatest dry fly setup but maybe the best wetfly/nymph setup

9 ft would be a little long for some of my stream fishing , like by about 2' , bamboo rods are like an old car without power steering ..lol

I agree - I think many reels are far too heavy for the small lightweight 3/4 wt rods. Like others said above, especially those LA reels. A reel that is too heavy, not only creates balance issues - but it can cause casting problems. I believe that it was in a Vince Marinaro book that he discusses the idea that a heavy reel creates extra movement of the rod tip, and "shock-waves" in the line, and thus takes energy out of the cast. I would imagine that this isn't as much a problem with stiffer, faster rods, as it is with slow rods.

Who knows if that's the case or not - but I'm drinking the Kool-aid.

The Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock Reel series is an affordable light-weight reel.

The BBS I comes in a t just 3.2 oz, and 2-1/2" diameter for $119.

I don't think you can find any other reel that's that light (and good quality) for any where near that price.

I've always been very satisfied with the Orvis customer support too.

i have a battenkill large arbor III and i love it , but it is way to heavy for a 7' or 7'6" 3or 4 wt , now a 9 or 10 4 wt it maybe ok i am not sure , no need here for a long 4 wt , they are great for peeling line fast when casting , low memory (less line coiling) and the drags are awesome and they are smooth as a baby a.....

FWIW, I see Orvis has the CFO disc drag reels on sale.

30% off, puts the CFO 1 at $139.

There is something special about fly reels in appearance. Every one is different. I think my Redington CD 3/4 looks like it belongs on a firetruck. The Redington badge is Bright red recessed lettering and so is the 3/4 marking, the reel is a polished aluminum.

I never really liked the way brands like Lamson appear. I just don't like the alien spaceship look. Nice reels just not my style.

I do like the large arbor styles though, as well as the traditional style. I thought about getting a battenkill mid-arbor last year, I was also looking at the Eastfork by G Loomis, but way to expensive. I try not to spend over a hundred on a reel.

So far I've been happy with most of the reels I've owned and none of them were over a $100 bucks, I just feel like my large arbors are a bit weighty for their line rating.

I fish primarily short 3 wt rods 7' or 7'-6" and it can be a challenge to find a reel that will balance with them. Typically I have used Orvis Battenkill or BBS reels which are relatively affordable, fairly light and provide enough of an arbor / backing capacity so as not to have your fly line so tightly wound that its too badly coiled. If you want to go lighter still Hardy's lightweight series is something you should consider looking at. I own a few and am very happy with thier performance. I'm happy with the Orvis too. The difference between the two is that the orvis you can just leave out to dry overnight and they are fine, the hardy you need to remove the spool and then let dry overnight or you can develop some rust. The smallest hardy (flyweight i believe) can leave your fly line pretty tightly coiled. Then if you want to go crazy there is the Sage click series. Seriously light reels with a nice arbor to them. Unfortunately they come at a pretty high price.

I've looked into those Hardy reels - nice and light, but if I remember they are not too easy on the wallet. The weight makes them tempting but the price makes them hard (for me) to justify to the wife. :-D

The flyweight comes in at just 2.5 oz. but is +$200. Not totally outrageous but a little steep.

believe it or not , when i bought my albright a-5 4wt , 7'6" , it came with a top water 3/4 reel , now granted it is the old click and pawl but it is all aluminum with a click adjustable drag , balances perfectly and it is just to hold line on a small rod , not going to be reeling in too many fish with it , i like it alot

There are a lot of old reels that fit the bill on smaller rods. I collect and sell Ocean citys. i like them on my small rods 5'2" to 7'6". what I want to do is machine them out even lighter.

Back