Reel seats - sizing

Bruno

Bruno

I want to put a decent reel seat on the bamboo rod I recently purchased. How does one determine the size? Everything I read refers to boar size. How does on measure that? I was able to remove the seat without any issues with a hair dryer and a twist .

You are essentially measuring the diameter of the blank at the area you want to mount the reel seat.

A dial caliper is probably the easiest too to use to measure the diameter, but will set you back about $20. Most can also be used to measure inside diameters also, such as the bore of a reel seat.

A drill gauge, which is a metal or plastic sheet with a ton of different sized holes drilled in it can also be used. Insert the blank into the holes until you find the size that closest matches your rod. Not as precise, but good enough to help in selecting a reel seat.

With that in mind, I don't sweat small, or even moderate differences in blank diameter and seat bore. Bores that are too big can be shimmed solidly with fiberglass dry wall tape. Masking tape also works well enough with small differences between seat and blank.

A rat tail file makes short work of a seat that is bored too small. You can usually get a fit that requires no shimming.

To sum it up, I don't worry too much about bore size, I pick a seat that I like and is suited to my purposes, knowing that I can make it fit.

Kev

Thanks man and the avatar is funny as hell

Oh, I almost forgot one other thing. You want to measure from corner to corner on a cane blank, not flat too flat. Corner to corner is wider than flat to flat.

Kev

bruno, you should be able to get a reelseat to fit bamboo without having to bore it out. glass is another story, I've had to bore out most that I've bought, but bamboo is usually within the specs of most reel seat makers, unless you've got a big bass or salmon rod. you may have to use some tape to pad the black to fit the spacer, then just mix up some epoxy and slap the baby on!

Bruno,

Measure, as PK posted, the diameter of the butt from corner to corner, in inches with a caliper (example is .410"). Reel seats are sold by bore size. Generally you buy a reel seat with a bore size > that measurement. If it's slightly smaller you can ream it out, or if it's slightly bigger you can make arbors out of dry wall tape or masking tape to fill in.

Here is an example of a reel seat with the bore sizes stated.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Nickel-Silver_2/D-8-Downlocking-Reel-Seat-Nickel-Silver

I recommend a downlocking seat, which is more traditional for a boo rod and also puts the reel further back on the rod to balance it out.

Great winter project....good luck. Post pics!

Back