Reel repair (PGH)?

guidedbywire

guidedbywire

Hi. I have a couple of reels I currently use in which the drag isn't functioning properly. Is there anyplace or anyone in the Pittsburgh area that does fly reel repairs?

Which reels? it may make a difference.

medalists are easy to fix.

One is a Hook and Hackle Xi Series 1. The other is a cheapo Piscifun Sword that I bought online. I don't care as much about that one, but the H&H is my main reel.

This is what it looks like:

GrEaE76.jpg

I don't know enough about reels to even know what kind of drag system it is. Just that it's not functioning like it used to.

Have you contacted H&H?

No, I was going to do that as a last resort maybe. I bought it over five years ago. Can't imagine any kind of warranty is still in effect.

Do regular old fly shops normally do reel repairs? Anyone particularly good at it?

I'd call H&H and ask who made it for them (hopefully a reel company in the US and still in business), and contact that manufacturer.

The likelihood some fly shop would have the expertise in house is pretty slim and even well known repairmen like Bill Archuleta shy away from things they can't get parts for or don’t know the origin of.

If you can’t get the builder’s name from H&H and/or Bill can’t help you, at minimum, I’d get out the instructions (or find a set if you don’t have them) and give it a thorough cleaning and re-lubrication. Use a high quality lube like Quantum Hot Sauce Grease and see if you get lucky.

Good luck!!

I'd try cleaning it and lubing first - amazing what a difference it made in my spinning reels this year. they felt like they were almost ready to lock up and a little lube made them feel like new. check you tube for how to videos.

reel repair is tough for a shop. Every reel is different in every little minute part internally. If the drag isn't working properly one tip to make sure you do is take all the drag tension off your reels after you're done using them. Think of keeping the brakes pressed down on your car while it's parked. Could make things stick and then not work over time. More often than not a bad drag on cork is because the cork has worn out or worn unevenly over time. A little bit of annual maintenance goes a long way. Take the reel apart and put some gun oil on the moving parts and treat the cork with something like some neats foot oil.
But as stated before, check with the manufacturer. They may have a warranty or some better advice on the specifics of fixing the reel.

Back