Redington Surge Reel: Any Thoughts

NickR

NickR

So, I am very happy with the service I have gotten with Redington thus far. I own a Redington DC5 reel which is fairly old... so old that when I contacted their warranty department about repairing it they didn't even know they made the reel. They told me that Lamson made a DC5 and Sage did as well.

I sent them a picture to confirm that it was definitely a Redington DC5. They told me that instead of repairing it if I send them 30.00 they will upgrade me to the Redington Surge. Anybody familiar with the Surge? If I use this reel I will most likely use it for fishing for small wild trout but need something that is durable and not going to break from a short fall to the ground.

$30 reel is a good deal, take it. If it breaks you can always spend the money on a better reel later. Deferred cost = good thing. :)

if it makes you feel better, i happen to own a dc5. it came with a crosswater beginner combo. i suspect its less about the reel being too old insomuch as it was a spur product that no one cared about.

due to lack of parts, i'm not sure how you broke it. give 'em 30 bucks and get a surge or, frankly, just spend $30 and buy an orvis battenkill on epay which is the same reel, anyways, or any offset "disc drag" reel.

Battenkills on ebay will cost more than 30 bucks...
The dc 5 doesn't look as solid as the battenkill either, you don't hear much about battenkills breaking.

Back