Redington Predator fly rod 9'6" - 6wt

krayfish2

krayfish2

For the 4th time in less than 3 years, my CPX rod has broken. This time it was the section right above the grip section. Hooked a fish from a moving boat. He wrapped me around a rock and I tried to rip him loose....pop!

As expected, Redington does not have any bottom sections available to replace my broken section. The guy then says "Well, we don't even have any 10 footers in freshwater models and definitely don't have any in 5 wt.". I asked what they could do and he suggested " Not much at this time unfortunately". I said if there's anything close, I'd probably just go with it.

They offered 696-4 Predator. It's a new model for 2017...matte finish, lighter swing weight and different bend profile. While the 9' Predator in 6, 7 or 8 weight are broomsticks, the 9'6" model is designed with a softer tip while keeping the stiff butt section. Specifically designed for fishing streamers and indicator fishing multiple fly rigs.

Never seen one but am considering the offer. Anyone seen, cast or fished the 2017 models or specifically.... The 9'6" model. Could be good to indi fish from boat and should be a good smallie / clouser rod.

Thanks

Redington has been extremely satisfying to me over the years. I would promote about anything they sale. What I have heard but can't verify is that basically Sage bought out Redington and that a lot of Redington's rods are old Sage blank designs. I own a 4 weight Redington Voyant and the thing cast Streamers just as well as my 5 weight Sage One. If Redington says the rod is a streamer rod, I believe them. Now one thing that doesn't sound good to me is that sensitive tip on the 9'6. Flexible tips get overpowered by big articulated streamers in my experiences. I feel like the backcast becomes miserable. I would research some past year shootouts etc. Now you may be throwing small patterns like sculpins and minnow patterns so it might not matter. If you throw the big meat then no way would I get a flexible tip rod. The flex tip does help w/ indicator nymphing - have a 6 weight 9'6 Sage Response - great indicator rod it sounds just like what you described in the 9'6 Redington. That rod has been discontinued.

Ok, they replaced my beloved 10' 5wt boat nymphing rod with a 9'6" 6wt Redington Link. They will swap it out if I don't like it. Read good and bad about it. Anyone have any experience with this model?

Back