Redington Hydrogen thoughts?

C

ColdBore

I'm considering picking up a Redington Hydrogen 11' 3wt, obviously for tight line nymphing.

Has anybody fished with one? Thoughts on it?

Most reviews are positive, mixed with a few less inspiring. I always take any shop's or website's reviews with a grain of salt; I'd rather hear from somebody here who is likely less biased one way or the other.

Thanks in advance!

I have one in a 9’0 6wt. Use it for WW and big water Trout fishing. I like it. It’s a very light med/fast action rod.

Redington’s are generally very good value rods for the price. Hydrogen is one of their higher end offerings, and is actually the most expensive rod I’ve ever bought. I think it was $300 sticker when I bought it...Might have gotten 20% off or something like that, don’t remember. My only knock on this particular model is that it’s not miles better or different than some of Redington’s more moderately priced med/fast models, which are also very good IMO. You end up paying a significant premium for the few tenths of an ounce of weight loss tech Hydrogen has in it. That said, it is light, I do like it, and am happy with mine.

I have the Hydrogen 11’3” 3wt trout Spey and it’s a great rod. Super light and well made. I’ve never fished their nymph rods but have heard good things. The 10’ or 11’ Syndicate P2 is a great option in that price range as well.

Thanks for the firsthand feedback guys!

I decided that I just have to try an 11' rod, so a new 3 wt is headed my way; I should have it in a few days! :)

I got the rod last week, and courtesy of a very generous offer from a member here (I have a feeling they wouldn't want the spotlight, so no names, at least for now), a perfect reel showed up in today's mail.

Line is on order, then let the streams cool down just a little more before I go break it all in. :)

Attachments

• Redington Hydrogen rod and Rise reel.jpg
    Redington Hydrogen rod and Rise reel.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 3
Looks good.

Hoping to fish my 6 wt setup this coming weekend on Pine.

Swattie87 wrote:

Hoping to fish my 6 wt setup this coming weekend on Pine.

Let me know how it works for you and what you think of it.

Hoping to try mine soon.

I got 'er spooled up today, and a fly box packed with new nymphs.

It's going to be tested this weekend. :)

Attachments

• Rise 3_4 with line 1.jpg
    Rise 3_4 with line 1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Rise 3_4 with line 2.jpg
    Rise 3_4 with line 2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 4
I am hydrogen! No wait..you are hydrogen!

I get the reference govt mule, but i bet i am the only one, birds of a feather

timmyt2 wrote:

I get the reference govt mule, but i bet i am the only one, birds of a feather

Nope, you're "knot" the only "won" to understand homophones, and clever plays on words related "two" our favorite pastime. ;-)

Coldbore,

Its a reference to the Phish song called "I am hydrogen"

Yep, got that part.

I thought the subtler reference was "Phish" instead of "fish".

Anyway, we were thinking along the same lines.

Back