Redington CT Classic Trout Series rods

T

timmyt

Any experience, opinions?

I'm looking to get it as a dry fly rod (the 9ft 4wt model) for slightly larger waters. I seem to think I lose more fish on a fast action rod (I have an 8.5ft foot 4wt) when fishing dries.

Not enough give to the rod when fish are aggressively slashing dries on top. I lost several nice fish for the stream I was fishing on dries using the 8.5ft - 4wt with fast action I described above. Ever since I have had a bug up my butt about it.

I have a 7.5ft -4wt (St Croix) that has slower action that I love fishing dries on, its a bid noodlier and has some more give so thats what I was looking for in a 9ft 4wt and I found this Redington CT on cabelas ( I have a gift card)

any info or advice is much appreciated, kinda new at matching rods with different types of flyfishing tactics so I am just basing this on my experience

Thanks!

Timmy,

I believe the action of the rod is more about the casting than the landing of fish. I favor fast-action rods, and have landed many thousands of trout with it. After fishing a rod, you really get to know it. Chose the rod that you cast well with and fish it.

Timmy,
I have a CT 8'6" 4 wt and I like it alot. I think the slower action does enable you to strike a bit more aggressively. The test will be tricos this summer for sure.

Jeff

Someone will post a really handy image of flex and action, I hope, but the thing is if its a softer rod, it'll bend more and absorb more shock and protect fragile, thin tippets.

On the other hand, your strikes will be different.

You're snapping the fly off when they take it, or you're just pulling it out of their mouths?

"After fishing a rod, you really get to know it. Chose the rod that you cast well with and fish it."

Thats a fair statement and this rod I describe that I lost the fish on I do not know well at all,

whereas the other one (the shorter one) that I was used to using is basically the rod I learned to flyfish on 5 plus years ago, so to say I know it is an understatement...

"if its a softer rod, it'll bend more and absorb more shock and protect fragile, thin tippets.

On the other hand, your strikes will be different.

You're snapping the fly off when they take it, or you're just pulling it out of their mouths?"

No not snapping it off...just dropping them

I'm looking into the same rod for some small stream brookies. Nice price and looks good. It does say it is a moderate action. If I get one, I'll let you know how I like it.

i think tip flex rods don;t give as good of a hook set and mid flex but they do protect light tippet , guess u can't have it both ways now can ya ...

I will seriously disagree. I started with a Fenwick, med flex, med to slow action and I thought it was great. Changed to a tip flex fast action and I WILL NEVER go back. My son took my rod and I fished with the fenwick again and it seemed like an unruly noodle. I/m not a dry fly fisherman so it might make a difference with the dry fly guys so I'm not saying it's something to cross of your list, but I've been setting a few dries with my rod and they drift pretty kindly as well. I will say, when I mess up, I pay with a nest beyond all that I would have patience to unravel. You can't play with them like a batter at the plate with useless movement.

My rod is an Orivis T3 but I've always liked Redington. They really have a nice balanced feel.

Casting is not to be over rated. In a small brook trout stream if you want a good hook set you need a tip flex, fast action. You're not casting a mile. A quick wrist flick to cast and a quick wrist flick to set, that's all. Really how far do any of us really cast?

wetnet wrote:
Really how far do any of us really cast?

About five more feet than I can in any given situation, mostly.

I'm curious, where do you fish? What types of streams. I always fish close. I suck at long casts but I also don't need to do them, I like my stiff fast action, it just sends them. I do nymph, so if you're a big dry fly guy listen to the other guys. That makes a differnce. (spel.$$%%^ cough dry) I can send a dry, but probably not as pretty as the others here. The only real thing I wanted to correct was that your set would be less effective in a tip flex. It is opposite, it's the fast and furious. I feel it's more effective, but that of course depends on what you want and what will work for you. I had a mid-flex Fenwick and went to a fast action tip flex Orvis T-3. I would not go back. I have a 9' rod and I'm thinking a 10' for my next rod.

Have fun shopping. I really like Redington rods, I think you'll find something you'll like.

I bought the 8'6" 4 wt as a new dry fly rod and I really like it. I'm a HUGE fan of fast action rods, but I really like this rod for throwing small dries with a lot of accuracy and delicacy. For an overall rod, it's much too slow for my liking, but I had a great time earlier this year throwing small midges and tiny BWO in the local creeks. To me, it seems like the rod has a very deep flex to it, and I really had to slow down my casting stroke, but it was great for fighting fish on fine tippets. It has definitely become one of, if not my favorite dry fly rods. Good luck with the decision!

So, any of you guys debating the CT ever get one?

I did not get that as my 3 wt. I will still look that way when I look at a 4wt in the next year.

You're not casting a mile. A quick wrist flick to cast and a quick wrist flick to set, that's all. Really how far do any of us really cast?

I am regularly casting 25-35 feet if not further.

I bought 2 CT's both 8' 6" 4 weights to guide with this summer and I am ver unhappy with them. They re a nice full flex flimsy rod that is nice for shorter casting situations, and even small fish feel nice on them. However, I have broken 3 of them this summer, all in the same spot, 1 foot down from the tip. They just do not seem like a durable rod at all. I will not be buying any mmore of the CT rods. EVER.

just curious....how the heck did you break 3 of them?...

I have the 9' 5wt and I really like it. It is definitely a slower rod. I brown line with an Orvis Silver Label tip flex in a 6 wt so when I pick up the CT I have to really pay attention to my casting stroke because it is markedly different.

Having said that, the feel of the rod is superb and is definitely a throwback to a more traditional trout rod. I think it is perfect for an overall PA trout rod especially for what you were looking to use it for. What it lacks in backbone and speed it makes up for in touch and finesse.

I would recommend going to your local dealer and throw one for a while. One thing I can tell you is that you can't find a better rod for the money. It is at such a low price point I found it hard to pass up.

All of course IMHO.

Back