Recommendations for Flies to tie

FlyForFun

FlyForFun

Hey, just getting into fly tying and going to try and tie my first flies this weekend. Was looking for some recommendations from you guys on effective but simple fly patterns to tie. I have been fishing zebra midges a bunch so I was going to tie some of those but what else would you recommend?

If you want simple to tie yet effective, its hard to beat some of the classics. The gold ribbed hares ear nymph is one of my go to flies. Ive also caught a lot fish using some of the traditional wets, like dark hendrikson and light cahill. All are very simple to tie and you can crank out lots of them in no time. If you are just starting to tie your own flies, one thing to remember is this, if it doesn't look like the picture...who cares! Just remember ugly flies catch fish too! Hope you find this helpful.

Nick

Thanks, Nick. I promise the first couple will be ugly hahaha! Will post up some pics once i tie a few.

Tie up some pheasant tail nymphs. They're cheap and easy. Also if you're into midge and micro nymphs then look up Tim cammisa's sluiceway special. It's quick and easy and looks like it'll hunt, especially in the winter

#8 or #10 olive and black woolly buggers with and without bead heads. These will give you plenty of practice with tying in materials properly, wrapping materials on a hook shank and palmering hackle. The added benefit is they catch fish so you'll be able to put your new flies to good use.

What they said^^^^^

I would add wooly worms, foam ants and beetles, and green weenie simple and effective

I have tied a greenie weenie, a wooly bugger (ugly little bugger too), and a san juan worm at a fly tying class i took at Orvis in downingtown. Thats why i want to start tying my own. I figure to start i will me mostly nymphing and working a dry dropper. Thats what i used on valley the last couple times. Pairing an elk hair with a zebra midge as the dropper. Caught my first wild browns on that.

Thanks for all the ideas, will need to do some of these. I think i will start with the zebra midge because i have had success with it and then a greenie weenie because i hear stockies love anything bright. Then i will move to pheasant tails since i have some feathers from hunting season.

Excited to start....hope the trout view my ugly flies as weaker prey since they are so ugly and hit them all the harder! haha.

Haven't thought of doing any terrestials yet, but i have a few in my fly box that my fiance bought me for christmas. Will definately add those to the list too.

This list is growing fast and my fly box is so small......

The foam bodied terrestrials work real well as a dry in your dry-dropper set up (little bug shaped bobbers) and are really simple to tie. Drop one of your green weenies off of foam beetle. Absolutely deadly! Actually just dropping a green weenie off of an Elk Hair Caddis will be equally as effective. Good luck!

GRHE
pheasant tail
adams comparadun
GW
Zebra midge
wooly bugger, olive black
the mighty egg
san juan
tan caddis
caddis nymph-tan and olive/chart color

That would be a good start

Wat the vice tonite and thought of this thread. SOFT HACKLES
very easy to tie and deadly effective in a number of situations. My favorites are

partridge and green
partridge and grey
starling and peacock herl

Here is a little tip. I use unifloss for body keeping the body very skinny, then add a little ball of dubbing, same color as body, but a bit thicker, then tie in a wrap or 2 of the hackle.

The little ball of dubbing should be placed immediately behind hackle (toward the rear of fly). When wrapping hackle keep it tight to the ball. Tied in this manner the hackle will not fold back in the current, instead, the ball keeps the hackle splayed imparting great action.

Peacock and brown,peacock and grizzly ,peacock and starling,peacock and blue dun ....

Back