Recommend me a Pair of Hip Boots

T

tracker12

Went out a did a little fishing this week only to get leaks in both boots of my hip boots. Looking for a recommendation for a new pair. These were insulated LaCrosse and they sure didn't last very long.

tracker12 wrote:
Went out a did a little fishing this week only to get leaks in both boots of my hip boots. Looking for a recommendation for a new pair. These were insulated LaCrosse and they sure didn't last very long.

Good luck!

I've worn hip boots on smaller streams from the time I started FF, 40 years ago now.

Rubber hip boots used to be indestructible. But not lately.
The last few pairs I tried didn't even last me a year.

I bought a pair of nylon stocking foot hippers from Cabelas last year - their brand called "3 forks". They actually lasted me a whole season without leaking ( although I really didn't use them much). But I sweated so bad in them, I might as well have just wet waded.

Late last fall, I bought a pair of Patagonia wading pants. And used them once - on my last outing of the year on yellow creek.
Liked how they performed for me that day, and think they are gonna be the ticket for my small stream fishing now.

Several companies do sell breathable stocking foot hippers. But for what they're priced at, I spent just a little more than that for my waist highs. (on sale) And can use them on small and medium size streams

Check out the Chota Hippies

If you are considering stocking-foot, Dan Bailey and Chota both sell breathable hip boots.

Be forewarned they both run tight in the calf area so if you have big calves or plan to wear layers underneath, you may want to try them on first.

I want something that has a boot attached. Want to just slip in and go. I have LL Bean waist ones that are ok

I also liked the convenience of quickly getting in and out of boot foot hippers
But the stocking foot with wading boots do give more support. And better for long hikes into remote streams

If you do find some boot foots that actually last a while, I'd like to know what they are.

Got Orvis stocking foot hippers, use them once or twice a year when it’s still to cold to wet wade small streams.

They have performed well but again not too much use over the last 8 years or so and are probably a lil pricey compared to some offerings. I rarely look at heat to know anymore.

dryflyguy wrote:

Late last fall, I bought a pair of Patagonia wading pants.

To me, wading pants usually means a pair of lightweight, quick drying nylon pants and wet wading, one of my favorite ways to fish.

However, realizing that the term "wading pants" usually refers to something a bit more watertight, I will say that after trying them, I don't know if I'll ever go back to hip boots. The extra foot or so of material, going up just past my waist, is a huge bonus. I've found that I rarely need (or want) to wade up to the top of my chest waders, so for 95% of my fishing, the pants are perfect. Much cooler and more comfortable than full chest waders, and offering practically no disadvantages to hip boots.

ColdBore wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:

Late last fall, I bought a pair of Patagonia wading pants.

To me, wading pants usually means a pair of lightweight, quick drying nylon pants and wet wading, one of my favorite ways to fish.

However, realizing that the term "wading pants" usually refers to something a bit more watertight, I will say that after trying them, I don't know if I'll ever go back to hip boots. The extra foot or so of material, going up just past my waist, is a huge bonus. I've found that I rarely need (or want) to wade up to the top of my chest waders, so for 95% of my fishing, the pants are perfect. Much cooler and more comfortable than full chest waders, and offering practically no disadvantages to hip boots.

Agree.
They should call them waist high waders

If you can find them ( I got mine from FishUSA last year and they appear to now be closing them out with limited size availability), I've been happier with these than any hippers I've owned since I used to buy Rangers from Hook&Hackle clear back when they were still in Plattsburgh, NY.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/cascades-2p-rubber-bootft-2716343

They are durable, have decent felts and are pretty comfortable. They are also lightly insulated, but not enough to be too warm in summer or add much if any weight. If you find them and aren't sure what size to get, I found that my street shoe size was about right as opposed to the one size bigger I usually buy in hippers.

I’ve had a pair of Dan Bailey hippers for 15 years. When I lost one last fall, I ordered a 2nd pair.

just_jon wrote:
I’ve had a pair of Dan Bailey hippers for 15 years. When I lost one last fall, I ordered a 2nd pair.

Were these breathable?

Back