Recipe for Hendrickson Nymph

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I have been looking at my books and on the web for a good recipe for the light Hendrickson nymph. There seems to be agreement on the color and material for adult dun but there looks to be a variety of ideas as to the nymph. I am thinking central PA..

If I were in central PA I'd stop in the Feathered Hook and get one as a model.

Ideas? As always, thanks in advance for your help.

You can always order some flies from one of the destination shops that you think has particularly good flies, and use those as models.

You can also go on TroutNut.com and see actual photos of the Hendrickson nymph and tie your imitation based on that.

MD_Gene wrote:
I have been looking at my books and on the web for a good recipe for the light Hendrickson nymph. There seems to be agreement on the color and material for adult dun but there looks to be a variety of ideas as to the nymph. I am thinking central PA.

"Light Hendrickson" is a name for E. Invaria. Most of us call this a "Sulphur". HA's sulphur nymph in this thread is as good as it gets.

shortrod2 wrote:
MD_Gene wrote:
I have been looking at my books and on the web for a good recipe for the light Hendrickson nymph. There seems to be agreement on the color and material for adult dun but there looks to be a variety of ideas as to the nymph. I am thinking central PA.

"Light Hendrickson" is a name for E. Invaria. Most of us call this a "Sulphur". HA's sulphur nymph in this thread is as good as it gets.

The Light Hendrickson was tied to imitate the female adult dun of the Ephemerella subvaria.

I'm sure if tied in small sizes you could use it during the sulphur hatch.

BradFromPotter wrote:
shortrod2 wrote:
MD_Gene wrote:

The Light Hendrickson was tied to imitate the female adult dun of the Ephemerella subvaria.

Indeed, "Light Hendrickson" is a name applied to E. Subvaria female duns.

It is also a name applied to the entire species E. Invaria as you can see on Trout Nut. It is the second most common name for E. Invaria.

Since the op was talking about nymphs I went with E. Invaria.

shortrod2 wrote:
BradFromPotter wrote:
shortrod2 wrote:
MD_Gene wrote:

Indeed, "Light Hendrickson" is a name applied to E. Subvaria female duns.

It is also a name applied to the entire species E. Invaria as you can see on Trout Nut. It is the second most common name for E. Invaria.

Since the op was talking about nymphs I went with E. Invaria.

Then I would suggest tying pheasant tails nymphs in various sizes which would work for either the Hendrickson or sulphur.

The light Hendrickson was not originally tied to imitate the sulphur.

Whenn looking at the pictures in the book "Mayflies," the nymphs were really dark and short/stocky.

They have very pronounced gills along the abdomen.

I tie mine with dark brown tails and a 50/50 mix of black and dark brown dubbing. I use white ostrich along either side for the gills and rib with black tread. My wing case is turkey.

However, I reserve these "special" ties for more pressured streams and use a PT for most occasions.

++1 for PT. That's all you need for April & May

I'm a little confused here (not difficult to understand since I'm an old guy). Is the original post looking for a good representation of E. invaria, now referred to as a Sulphur, or E. subvaria, now referred to as a Hendrickson?

I'm with you Dave, old and confused

He typed "Hendrickson." If he wanted a Latin lesson, he would visit the Academy.

Phasianus Caudae.

I don't think a decent representation of either species of nymph could be far off with a pheasant tail.

Here's a good generic "Hendrickson" nymph although any brown PT style nymph will do the trick as these mayfly nymphs look very similar:

HOOK: #14 nymph
LEGS/TAIL: Tan grizzly hackle and picked out dubbing
BODY: Brown dub with orange "hot spot" in abdomen
RIB: Copper wire
WING CASE: Goose primary

Attachments

• Hendrickson.jpg
    Hendrickson.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 2
Hendricksons, or whatever one wishes to call them, run the gamut of sizes and colors, with most being stream specific. The key is make the thorax a shade darker than the abdomen in larger sizes. In smaller sizes use wire for the abdomen.

But to be successful you need to know the traits of the natural brood, as all broods change from body of water to body of water.

Back