Recently Tied Flies - Comments Welcome

goodfortune

goodfortune

I'd like to get some comments and feedback for some of the flies I've been tying for the Jam this weekend. All comments are welcome.

Thanks guys; I'll see you at the Jam :-D

Sulphur Spinner

Sulfur Spinner 1(1).jpg

Sulphur Dun

Sulfur Dun 1.jpg

Thorax-Style Sulphur w/ Antron Wing

Sulfur Antron Wing 1.jpg

Emergent Sparkle Pupa

Emergent Sparkle Pupa 1.jpg

Grey Fox

Grey Fox 1.jpg

Yellow Stonefly

Yellow Stonefly 1.jpg

Very nice work. Hope I can tie like that one of these days. You better tie some Green Drakes while you are at it!

Very nice.

The only suggestion I could possibly offer would be concerning body taper. I like to use long tail fibers and lash them down all the way to the eye. It keeps a bump from forming toward the rear of the fly. Try to taper it nicely to the thorax.

Those are nicer than the dries I tie, that's for sure.

Great looking ties, very nicely done. On the first two flies, the taper of the abdomen/head looks a little on the lean side. This should be easy to correct though. The Stone and Sparkle Pupa look flawless! Of the patterns you've shown, those two tend to be more challenging at least for me. Killer job.

Awesome Flies, really like the Sparkle pupa

They look pretty good to me. I like how you dubbed behind the microfibbets on the second one. Only thing I'd tell you is to keep the bodies as thin as you can on you dries. Often, you'll see nicely tied flies with chubby bodies. Unless it's a meaty fly you're trying to imitate, you can't go wrong w/ thinner boddies. It may even allow you to go up a hook size because the fly appears smaller to the fish.

Sparkle pupa over body is a bit heavy IMO. Typically you want to be able to see through the over body. I like a little trailing shuck but some folks don't mess with it.

The golden stone fly is awesome and something I have not tackled yet!

ahh! thats the vise i want! awesome ties tho :)

Thanks for the input and feedback :-D

It seems like I'm making some progress in my dry-fly tying, but as you can see, there is lots of room for improvement. For one, I'm still working on tying a decent-looking parachute :)

I agree that the flys could be better tapered, thinner, and maybe a bit more sparse. What do you all think of the proportions of the flies overall?

Will the Grey Fox tied in larger sizes (#12s, #10s even?) work for March Browns? Will a tan-bodied Adams work for both?

The recipes I've found on the 'net for Grey Foxes and March Browns seem similar. What differences between the two will the fish notice?

Will a soft-hackle hare's ear work as a March brown, or should I look to tie something more imitative? Will a soft hackle hares ear work as a green drake imitation as well?

I've heard the fish in Penns like Golden Stoneflies, so I tied a couple. The one shown was tied on a #8 2XL hook. Is this a good size for the Golden Stoneflies in Penns? Are there any changes I can make to improve the stonefly like proportions, body thickness, etc.?

I'll apply the suggestions, and see what more I can tie between tonight and tomorrow. I'll probably bring my vice to the Jam as well. Keep the comments and suggestions coming :-D

Very nicely done Mike! The golden stones in center state tend to be pretty big. I like ones that are about an inch long not counting tails. Also, your flies are sparse - which is definitely good.

Looking good. One thing that will go along well with those more sparsely dubbed bodies, especially on sulphurs and cahills, is a few winds of silver mylar tinsel before you lay the dubbing down. White paint works to, but you have to wait for it to dry.

Just make sure you use mylar tinsel because it is alot lighter than other tinsels.

they're pretty good, but I generally prefer parachutes as they can pass as both duns and spinners...

Back