Recent Work Travel + Fly Fishing Trips

Millsertime

Millsertime

I travel regularly with my job and normally bring my FF gear with me. It seems there are trout in most states even the ones you’d least expect. I thought I’d dump some photos from some of my work/FF trips this year so far.

March – Bonefishing in Hawaii. I caught one small bone off Hickam flats which is the entrance of Pearl Harbor. This was my first saltwater experience with a fly rod. I can’t say I enjoyed it much. I prefer running water and dense vegetation much more.

April – Who would have thought there were wild trout in Oklahoma? My job brought me to OKC but the closest wild fishery was all the way to southeast OK near Broken Bow (4-5 hour drive each way). I fished the Lower Mountain Fork River below Broken Bow Dam. It is a wild brown and rainbow trout fishery along with stocking. The wild bows/browns I caught were small/feisty but colorful and the stocked bows were large and sluggish. I enjoyed the fishing but the weekend crowds were not for me. By the afternoon, it was difficult to find an open stretch of water to fish alone even if I walked far away from the parking lots.

May – Wild trout in the cornhusker state. I traveled to Omaha Nebraska but I fished the east branch of the Verdigre Creek over the weekend in northeast Nebraska. It’s a spring creek in corn country and holds wilds browns and stocked bows. Beautiful stream with lots of scuds. The browns offer technical fishing while the bows were pretty simple.

June – Black Hills of South Dakota. I love fishing the Black Hills because it’s where I cut my FF teeth. This trip I fished Rapid Creek and Castle Creek. Both are Black Hills tailwater streams and have good populations of wild browns/brooks and supplemented stocked bows. My time on Rapid Creek was only the 1/2 hour of daylight and I got skunked. I fished Castle Creek below Deerfield Lake and caught 1 brown on a dry fly. Included picture is of Castle Creek as I didn’t take a picture of Rapid Creek. Both are beautiful streams with the smell of pine throughout the air. The Black Hills remind me of the Pocono’s except with coniferous trees. I also did some river fishing on the Missouri River and kept most of the fish for an evening fish fry.

I’ll be in Germany in July, then Alaska in August for salmon/grayling. I’ll post more pictures then.

Attachments

• Hawaii.jpg
    Hawaii.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 11
  • Hawaii_2.jpg
    Hawaii_2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Oklahama.jpg
    Oklahama.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Oklahoma_2.jpg
    Oklahoma_2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Nebraska.jpg
    Nebraska.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Nebraska_1.jpg
    Nebraska_1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Sodak.jpg
    Sodak.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 4
  • Sodak_2.jpg
    Sodak_2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 3
great stuff, thanks for sharing

I'm retired now, but when I was working and traveling I took my gear all the time because I never knew where I might end up near a stream.

Great photos, always enjoy seeing something different. Those Nebraska and SD creeks look like my kind of water!

nice pics.

yes i went bonefishing three times then packed it in. the heat n sun made it not that enjoyable.

give me wind, rain and snow any day !

My work brought me back to Colorado this past week. After talking with some of the guys at St Petes fly shop in Ft Collins, I decided to fish the Cache La Poudre River west of Ft Collins. I fished the main river on Monday late afternoon (20th) and the North Fork all day on Sunday (26th). I missed 3 strikes on Monday which ended up me getting skunked but Sunday I caught several trout on the North Fork below Seaman Reservoir. The browns were small like the picture below and the rainbows were fat, spunky, and around 15". About 50% of the trout were caught with small dries (BWO and attractors) while the other half were caught with streamers. I've always heard that you have to "nymph" to catch trout in Colorado but this is the 4th time I've fished CO and I haven't resorted to nymphing one time. I'm down in Colorado Springs now so hopefully I'll have time to fish the S Platte one day this week. My biggest trout of the year came from Deckers back in July. All pics below from Poudre North Fork.

Attachments

• 20141026_130330.jpg
    20141026_130330.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20141026_160543.jpg
    20141026_160543.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20141026_170953.jpg
    20141026_170953.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 3
Back