Really cool flies

J

JasonC

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/fishing/most-realistic-trout-flies/

Just, wow. What's your favorite?

Truly works of art! Would trout really take a Praying Mantis?

They are cool looking, however would they serve any other purpose.

To many parts to break off in my opinion. I'd like to know how many fish would/could be caught before a piece of them breaks off?

I think the Hexagenia is a real insect with a hook through it.

Very real looking ties there, I wonder too how long they would last if catching fish with them.

If you got refused on one of those things, it wasn't the pattern....it was the drift. Works of art

I met a man several times from around the Blakeslee area. His friend had one arm. Sorry i can not remember but for that. Good , good, guys. I considered my self lucky, they talked to me. I mean lucky.

Realistic, yes, a true work of art. They told me, could take 8 hours to set the legs, to perfection.

I can see it like yesterday! Why forget these fellows. I might have lost the name, but never will forget. There is a fellowship, of this type, with a fly fetching several hundred dollars each. Hours and hours for 1.

Nice to know, it is true, i lived it and was a witness. I hope the 2 men are still here. I am sure battle scars them both! Yeah, oh Yeah, what a trip! Just another reminder of "GOOD".

Maxima12

I like 'em - very impressive.

I think where most of the effort and creativity in these flies lies in is in designing the body parts. My guess is that a lot of this is resin. There is also a lot of very fine brush work. There is a lot of experimentation that goes into realistic flies.

Of course, these flies are meant only for display. I spend a lot of time experimenting with custom designed materials to design body parts for flies (especially crab flies) that are both highly accurate, but that also fish well and this requires soft materials that are durable and water resistant.

Ultimately, flies like these are indeed works of art and remind us of the creativity and intricacy involved in the tying hobby and they stand as the finest example of the form over function end of the spectrum.

Back