Reading Eagle about the Tully

dshaffer

dshaffer

I want to thank Roger Mallon for the great article in the Reading Eagle this morning. I know most of the folks that are on this blog share the sentiment in the article.

BUT, I also need to thank at least two other people that have been MOST helpful in this process: Tony Gehman owner of TCO Fly Shop and Doc Pluchinsky a long time member of TU.

Whether the PAFB Commission hears over 1,200 voices or not will be interesting. It only took less than 400 to stop the DHALO debacle so let's see if positive input works as well as negative.

We did meet with Karl Lutz (many thanks to Karl) and we do have initial plans to repair the deflectors below the Stilling Basin and implement new deflectors below the confluence of Cacoosing Creek (thanks to Mike for that suggestion).

Stay tuned I am hopeful we will get a decision soon. Stay positive!

Great news and good luck. Here is the article:

Trout Unlimited wants seeking change on lower Tulpehocken Creek
Sunday April 19, 2015 12:01 AM

By Roger Mallon, Reading Eagle

The Tulpehocken Chapter of Trout Unlimited has initiated a proposal to change the Delayed-Harvest-Artificial-Lures-Only stretch of lower Tulpehocken Creek to a Catch-and-Release only fishery.

A recent proposal by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission that would have allowed bait fishing on the state's DHALO waters was recently withdrawn by the agency, due largely to resistance from stewards of DHALO waters, like members of Tully TU.

The PFBC expressed concern about conditions on the Tully, such as increased bank erosion, silting and occasional high water temperatures, which it believed were unsuitable for supporting trout populations.

In its proposal to change the local Tully to a Catch-and-Release fishery, Tully TU addressed all of these issues and emphasized the economic and environmental benefits of increased local stewardship.

In a letter dated April 6 to PFBC executive director John Arway, Tully TU president Dan Shaffer submitted a petition signed by more than 1,000 supporters of the Catch-and-Release proposal, plus copies of letters endorsing the idea from the Berks County Commissioners; Dr. David Osgood, biologist at Albright College; State Representative Jerry Knowles of the 124 Legislative District; Dan Grieg of the Berks County Conservation District; Karen Schreiber of Muhlenberg Parks and Recreation; and Crystal Seitz of the Greater Reading Convention and Visitors Bureau.

In his letter, Shaffer indicated that Tully TU would be meeting with PFBC Stream Habitat Section Chief Karl Lutz, and that Lutz "has expressed a strong interest in the Tully and offered his expert guidance to assist the Chapter."

Shaffer also wrote that Tully TU has "the ability to source a Pennsylvania 'grown' warm water rainbow trout. Our hopes are to use this trout on the Tully for fall stocking. We have ordered 5,000 fingerlings for delivery in the first week of October and we will be fin clipping all of the fish. A published study shows little support of the claim to being a warm water rainbow; this particular breed has been used very successfully on the Upper Youghiogheny River tail water in Maryland for the past 20 years.

"Additionally, we would like to note," wrote Shaffer, "the first goal under Conservation in the (PFBC's) Strategic Plan is, 'Through June 2017, continue efforts to improve Pennsylvania's tailwater trout fisheries.' We understand the Tully was not selected as a tailwater trout fishery. We, at a local level, choose to improve this tailwater and transform the Special Regulation Section into a successful 'put and grow' fishery. We will be attending the May 4, 2015, Commissioner's meeting."

Contact Roger Mallon: 610-371-5060 or sports@readingeagle.com

Link to source: http://readingeagle.com/sports/article/trout-unlimited-wants-seeking-change-on-lower-tulpehocken-creek

Afishinado, thanks for the back up and good wishes!

No problem Dan...here to serve.

Here is the petition mentioned above to change the Tully from DHALO to CRALO. Maybe we can get another thousand anglers to sign on!

Attachments

• Just try it.jpg
    Just try it.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 2
Yo afish - I already signed the C&R petition from TCO's Email, and we are up to 1126 now.

that last paragraph is quality - reminding them that there first goal is tailwaters, lol.

well done to all.

Great job Dan. I echo your thanks to Tony Gehman and Dr. Pluchinsky. Two long time stewards of the Tully. Signed the petition weeks ago. Let's hope all these initiatives can move forward

Back