Read the sighter

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Great video on how to read what's happening with your flies when tightline nymphing plus much more >

I watched it. still confused. Last time I fished Spring I was fishing a very small perdigon. I kept hanging up. I watched one video suggesting that I keep my rod tip higher. Won't that cause gdrag?

Not the case, salmo. Rod higher, means you might have less of an angle, and that means you will get deeper. More of an angle, and you will run shallower in most cases. Spring Creek is pretty shallow, so a perdigon might be overkill to get down. A basic caddis larva or a walts/sos is plenty to get down there. I use perdigons on larger creeks to get small bugs deep when you need small bugs to get eaten, and I use them on 6X and size 18 and 20 in low water in the summer and fall. Otherwise, trust that bugs that aren't designed to be bombs will get down. I hope this helps?

I was trying to use the small perdigons in pretty fast sections and still got hung up. I've seen others do it more successfully.

I was trying to use the small perdigons in pretty fast sections and still got hung up. I've seen others do it more successfully.
Gotcha. I am sure there are other instructional videos, maybe even from the same dude, that get into tippet size and how the bugs fall based on material and density of materials, etc. If you are hanging up, you are too heavy, but if you think you have the right bug on, you can use heavier tippet, change to a lower angle, shorten your tippet length, etc. I change flies a lot, but when I am feeling lazy, I do everything else to change the presentation before changing bugs. Perdigons are sexy and in vogue, but they are tools that are better in some circumstances than others. With practice in theory you could fish a 1/4 hair jig in a foot of water with 2X, especially if the materials are bulky. Not that you'd want to!

Back