Reach Cast

I hear all about names for casts now days. When I go and watch the videos the vast majority of the time I say to myself "oh thats what ya call it when I do that". So much of it just seems to come natural after a while and you don't even think about it. Because of this I don't think I could ever be a casting instructor. I don't think I could really explain fully what I'm doing. Orvis and The New Fly Fisher make great videos!

The reach cast has been around for about 50 years and more than likely longer than that.

Like everything some Internet Gen Z flat brimmer looking for notoriety claims it as something new...

The reach cast has been around for about 50 years and more than likely longer than that.

Like everything some Internet Gen Z flat brimmer looking for notoriety claims it as something new...
Yes let's gatekeep young people from being accepted as real fly fishermen because they wear their hats stupidly.

The video is from Orvis, by Pete Kutzer who is probably like 45, who has worked as a casting instructor for Orvis for probably at least 15 years. Hardly what I would call an internet GenZ flat brimmer looking for notoriety.

I hear all about names for casts now days. When I go and watch the videos the vast majority of the time I say to myself "oh thats what ya call it when I do that". So much of it just seems to come natural after a while and you don't even think about it. Because of this I don't think I could ever be a casting instructor. I don't think I could really explain fully what I'm doing. Orvis and The New Fly Fisher make great videos!
Pretty much the same for me.
When I first started out, I quickly realized that I had to get slack in the leader to get a longer drag free float.
And just figured out ways to cast to achieve that.

After about 10 years at it, found out that I was doing slack line and puddle casts.

Someone: I like how you reach cast and stack mend.

Me: What!?!

Been doing it or my version of it for so long, it's just natural. I've seen some very extreme versions of it performed where the angler almost loses balance trying to reach to extreme point. Don't think people realize how important the abrupt stop is and the reach is a simple / subtle movement.

Now, what impressed me was watching Clouser tossing curve and hook casts at the fly show. For me, that is difficult. I ain't built like that 😂

Back