Raystown Lake Area mid October

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

I don't fish the Raystown area much at all, and I don't know anything about it. I'll be in the area for something else, but a friend wants to go fishing. He's a spin guy. I imagine fly fishing the lake is inpractical?

What about Great Trough Creek? We'll be near GTC State Park. I fished it last July once and caught some nice smallies. That might be a better bet? I'm open to thoughts. Yes I know the Little J is within an hour. I think my friend isn't quite into the Fall trout thing.
Thanks
Andy

Squatch -

The little j fishes really nice in fall, and that's where I'd wanna be for sure.
Your friend can spin fish there - it does have some warm water fish too. And if he doesn't like it, the frankstown branch is loaded with smallies and fallfish.

Yeah I would love to fish the LJ. I'm not sure how much free time we'll have. That's the other issue. It'd be 45-to an hour drive up to the LJ. Do that both ways, we might be cutting into our fishing time quite a bit.

It has been many years since I've fished Trough Creek. A college buddy of mine used to live out near Raystown and for a number of years I used to go out and do a turkey hunting/flyfishing weekend in the Spring of the year. I really enjoyed fishing Trough Creek. It was an ATW but also held plenty of wild fish. I remember it being a real nice piece of water with many different hatches. I never fished it in the fall but if I were you I would definitely give it a shot since you are going to be right near it.

The big j isn't far. There's another option. Poppers, plugs and bronze backs

pm

Ahh yes the Big J could be a great option. I really think for my buddy, warm water options are best. He hasn't fished in YEARS. I have a few hoola poppers he can use.

I would steer clear of Great Trough Creek, especially with the lack of water we have received.

It's one of the most beautiful streams I have ever fished, but the biomass didn't seem to be there. There were a few stockies (in August), but it seemed there were 3 fishermen for each fish.

If your goal is fishing success, then I would recommend fishing off of a dock (Aitch, for instance). If it is an experience, Trough or Clover creek jump back on the list.

Highly recommend the Frankstown branch. Easier to move around from spot to spot than the big J. Bring big caddis dries in addition to whatever your typical bass flies are. Ran into a crazy hatch there last year at the end of October and only had streamers with me! If you want specifics shoot me a PM

Thanks Sarce. That sounds great. I'll start digging around on a map! Feel free to PM me some access spots. I found out it'll be 2 guys with me, both spin fishing.

Take a dog food fly to Seven Points Marina... You'll slay the carp!!! :-D

Back