Raystown info please

I rented a cabin for a few days close to the tailrace, Does anyone have any scoop on the area, must go to spots, general info etc. We will be fishing for the usual suspects, including trout carp and Muskies. Will be there the 1st week of may.
thanks in advance.

If it were me, I'd focus on points and bays on the north side, lower end of the lake toward the dam. Look for visible emergent weed growth and target these areas for bass and panfish. Striped bass will cruise the shorelines in May and a large grey streamer that resembles a gizzard shad would be my first choice. Low light conditions are your friend.

I'm assuming that you are going to have a boat, correct? If so I can offer some suggestions. Shoreline fishing Raystown leaves a lot to be desired. Either way, if you find Raystown frustrating don't neglect the great opportunities of the Juniata and the Little J.

If the cabin you have rented is near the tailwater of the dam, you won't have any real access to the lake so to speak without driving. The tailwater is pretty much dead water. Yes there are some fish in it for the 1st mile down stream from the dam to Corbin islands. Early on in the spring till May or so you might be able to catch a few trout. The back side of the islands hold some nice small mouth. The tailwater is a warm water fishery for the most part. Especially during the summer months. Once you hit the main stem of the Juniata River things pick up somewhat. Walleye, Bass, Musky, etc. If you are really looking for Trout water head west of Huntingdon on Rt22 and hit the LJ and Spruce. Spruce would be a good spot mid week. Shouldn't be many around for the short stretch of public water to be had. Hit the Barree/Rothrock section of the LJ. Like I said.The tailwater out of the damn is pretty and all but, it's not the best fishery around. Yes, there are trout. But, your time is better spent up on the LJ, Spruce. Standing Stone, Stone Creek and some of the other cricks, streams and rivers in the area. Standing Stone and Stone Creek are on Rt 26 North of Huntingdon. Stockies and holdovers for the most part on those two but, plenty of them at the time of the season your going to be there. I'd offer to show you around some but, I've got a huge kitchen remodel to start May 1st. Camp for us is right where the tailwater hits the main stem of the Juniata. Get'n ready to head up now. Good luck and have fun. It's a great area to kick back and sit by the fire and do nothing or fish the day away.

FiveWeight wrote:
If the cabin you have rented is near the tailwater of the dam, you won't have any real access to the lake so to speak without driving. The tailwater is pretty much dead water. Yes there are some fish in it for the 1st mile down stream from the dam to Corbin islands. Early on in the spring till May or so you might be able to catch a few trout. The back side of the islands hold some nice small mouth. The tailwater is a warm water fishery for the most part. Especially during the summer months. Once you hit the main stem of the Juniata River things pick up somewhat. Walleye, Bass, Musky, etc. If you are really looking for Trout water head west of Huntingdon on Rt22 and hit the LJ and Spruce. Spruce would be a good spot mid week. Shouldn't be many around for the short stretch of public water to be had. Hit the Barree/Rothrock section of the LJ. Like I said.The tailwater out of the damn is pretty and all but, it's not the best fishery around. Yes, there are trout. But, your time is better spent up on the LJ, Spruce. Standing Stone, Stone Creek and some of the other cricks, streams and rivers in the area. Standing Stone and Stone Creek are on Rt 26 North of Huntingdon. Stockies and holdovers for the most part on those two but, plenty of them at the time of the season your going to be there. I'd offer to show you around some but, I've got a huge kitchen remodel to start May 1st. Camp for us is right where the tailwater hits the main stem of the Juniata. Get'n ready to head up now. Good luck and have fun. It's a great area to kick back and sit by the fire and do nothing or fish the day away.

I'm going to assume that he is not after trout, but they Are certainly a good alternative if other things are a bust. Given the directions from where he said he is staying Snyder's Run and Point Access are so close that he will have easy access to both as I'm sure that you know since you said that you have a cabin near Point Access.

One time I fished around Corbin Island. I caught a few smallmouths and a couple of sunfish. All in all, however, that section seemed so lifeless compared to further downstream. Why is that?

I had planned to fish a few days for trout and than a few days for the other finned suspects. I figured directly below the dam in the tailrace part of the river would be good but apparently from the above reports its not to smoking hot. thanks for the heads up!

Back