Rattling Run

T

Troutmeister

Rattling Run originates in Berks Co and flows W. into Schuylkill and dumps into the Schuylkill in Port Clinton. Anyone know anything about access to this creek? Most of it is on SGL and Weiser S.F., but I do not see any access to the stream except near the mouth in Port Clinton which looks to be private. Feel free to P.M. me if you don't want to respond publicly.

Hike into into the SGL and SF lands and fish! Nothing beats exploring a trout stream with difficult access.

There’s legal access to it via the SGL/SF roads in the public lands to the north, but you have to climb down (and back up) the ridge to the north to stay on public land on the way in/out.

I suppose you could also climb the AT out of Port Clinton and descend down to the stream off the south ridge too. Largely the same issues as the northern approach, plus the additional initial climb on foot.

There isn’t any (legal) access as you note via the mouth at the end of the valley in Port Clinton.

I’ve never fished it, but know several guys who have. They all report similarly...a lot of work to get to, and a lot of rhododendron once you do get to it. It has Brookies, but that combination has dissuaded me from fishing it, the latter especially. It’d make for a fun day exploring for the adventurous angler though. I’d recommend snake gaiters for the hike down the ridge if done during the warmer months.

Ive fished it before. Your only access is to park on top and head down one of the powerlines until hit the stream. I wouldnt bother its not worth the effort. The only spots that are open and fishable are on the hunting club property. Everything else is nothing but one big rhododenren tunnel.

And the biggest ST in the stream are not in the rhododendron tunnels. In this stream the legal size fish get more abundant and larger as you head downstream, with the largest ones in greatest numbers pretty much being in town and where the posting starts. Access was lost because of people camping and leaving their trash all over the campsites or in their campfires. Over a decade ago you could join the local club for a relatively minor fee to get access. Not aware if that option still exists. Nearly sixty years ago was a great place for a kid to explore and fish and the Appalachian Trail entered the Rattling Run hollow directly in town.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware there were any access roads to the N., not on the map that I have anyway.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware there were any access roads to the N., not on the map that I have anyway.

Head 61N through the town of Port Clinton and on your right just past 3c's resturant there will be a steep and windy dirt road. Follow that until you come to a T in the road. There is a designated parking area there. From there you can head down the canyon via the poweline cut about a half mile or so until you hit the stream.

Thanks Hopback.

Back