Ramblin' around for 6"er's

hemlock

hemlock

I heard Penns is pretty crowded these days, so I did my part this weekend to help reduce it and left the state entirely. I loaded up the truck and headed south with brook trout on my mind. I figured water would be pretty low and it certainly was. It was still pretty damn cold though.

1 DSC00253

The fish weren't looking up on the first stream, so I switched over to a small jig streamer. That brought several to hand for the morning. Beers were calling back at the truck and I answered. I took the rest of the day to do some touristy stuff.
2 DSC00308

Would ya just look at that.
3 DSC00326

The next day I hit a different stream, fish still weren't eager to eat on top. Jig streamer into every plunge pool it is. This stream produced some nicer fish. Of course, I LDR'd the best fish of the day but this one wasn't too bad.

5 DSC00459

I finished the day with a "swim" in the main river... lasted about 30 seconds... did I mention the water is still cold?

I hit one more stream the next day and finally the fish were eager to eat an EHC. I picked up two empty worm containers at a beaver pond to gain some good karma from the fishing gods. All in all, a great trip in pursuit of the lil' guys.

4 DSC00356

Tight lines.

Did you fish above or below the beautiful falls? Any brookies there?

I would have taken that monster right to the taxidermist

Lots of good fishing fishing down there!

Good stuff. I'm debating heading down that way next weekend. Even more so now based on your water temp/flow observations.

Back