Rainy Pocono Weekend

Swattie87

Swattie87

For all the talk about lack of rainfall and low flows in recent weeks, I gotta be honest...I wouldn't have minded if it lasted a couple more days. Was in the Poconos car camping for the NASCAR race, and I believe it rained (to varying degrees and if you count fog/mist) nearly constantly for the last 48 hours up there. It was a PITA for camping, and the race got rained out until today. The one bright spot was that after they called the race yesterday we hightailed it back my truck and got out of the lot quickly.

I figured there would be a good chance of a rainout while packing up Saturday morning so I threw in the fishing gear just in the event that happened. Rain is bad for racing, but good for improving the fishing in low flow conditions. Made it to a stream by about 4:00 and found flows to be in surprisingly good shape. Fished through the rain until about 7:00 and managed to salvage the trip up there with some very good fishing for a few hours. Many small, but colorful Browns were brought to hand. The coloration in Pocono stream Browns is among my favorite in my PA...I suspect it's the tannic water that leads to the darker tones.

Attachments

• 07-31-16 (1) - PAFF.jpg
    07-31-16 (1) - PAFF.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 07-31-16 (4) - PAFF.jpg
    07-31-16 (4) - PAFF.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 07-31-16 (7) - PAFF.jpg
    07-31-16 (7) - PAFF.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2
Nice pics! Glad you got to fish.

That last brown has quite the color, nice!

Wow! Gorgeous brownies man!

I love those stream-stained browns! Nice way to save the trip!

Which stream? I live about 4 miles from the Raceway in Pocono Pines and often fish the Brodhead, Lackawanna, Bushkill, McMichaels. With all the rain planning to go tomorrow or Weds.

Swattie87 wrote:

I'm afraid I'd go to hell if I told...

Ha.

What was the water temp like?

There's currently a break in the rain, but it went all day and it's about to start up again and go through tomorrow. Kinda intense.

hooker-of-men wrote:
Swattie87 wrote:

I'm afraid I'd go to hell if I told...

Ha.

What was the water temp like?

Quite literally.

62. Quite warm actually for a Pocono headwater stream. A fairly large side spring (for a freestoner) was noticeably colder, but I didn't temp it.

Nice pics. Gorgeous fish. We got a good bit of rain here in western PA and it really woke the streams up this weekend as wel

They are beauties :cool: If that is where I think it is, that first fish is a great sized brown for that trickle!

Back