Rainfall Map Website?

T

troutbert

Does anyone know of a website with a map that shows recent rainfall?

WeatherNet.com has recent rainfall totals. The zoom doesn't work as well as it previously did though.

Yeah. This was my go to for a long time. Old interface was awesome. New one sucks. I’m in the market for a new one.

There have been multiple posts on this including by me. I did find this as an alternative to weathernet:

It shows the actual numbers for different reporting sites. Maybe there is a contours function I haven't discovered yet. It is based on rain gauge reporting not radar estimates.

Thanks for the information.

There's so much good hidden content on weather.gov

Those are ok, and better than nothing, but the “old” IWeathernet.com interface was superior IMO due to the level of zoom it provided. You could really pinpoint where the rain fell, like down to street level, and with Summer Tstorms, this is key. Yes, it was radar estimate based but the level of zoom you could achieve was what made it. There can be huge differences between watersheds that are only a small distance from one another. Less of an issue on the broader scale rain events that are more typical of November to May or so, but for the Summer you need to get really local sometimes.

Try Weather Underground which has the usual airport & municipal weather stations plus a TON of other PWS (Personal Weather Stations) you can access that are linked to the website including my PWS that monitors rainfall, wind speed, wind direction, temperature & humidity.

On any of the individual PWS "dashboards" for the region you are looking at you can display real-time data for the conditions monitored by that PSW, forecasts by the day & hour, weather maps and historical data.

The multiple PWS really allow you to drill down to specific areas on a map which makes a difference if the headwaters of a stream has a PWS nearby that is in a different area that got a different amount of rainfall than a single municipal or government weather station that is in the region but not the watershed.

For example, if I type in Allentown, PA it will show a single weather station, however if I click "CHANGE" next to the weather station that pops up, it gives me a choice of 23 separate weather stations where I can check conditions.

You can also remotely monitor specific personal weather stations on a phone or PC. For example my PWS is reporting I just got 0.34" of rain. ;)

It's a great website and the only one I use to link my weather station data & check forecasts & conditions where I fish.

Last edited:
Back