Rain and spawn

bigjohn358

bigjohn358

Well 3+ inches of rain in many areas and things are blown out right now. What's this do to the spawn?

I was thinking about that day. My thought was, it will give the brook trout a chance to move up into their spawning areas.
I had 2 1/4' in my gauge.

I don’t know what kind of flows it takes to have redd scour but there is research showing large floods within 30-70 days of eggs hatching are a big mortality factor for fry that get washed very very far downstream or left out in the flood plain.

I was thinking about that day. My thought was, it will give the brook trout a chance to move up into their spawning areas.
I had 2 1/4' in my gauge.
Most brook trout should have already spawned I would have thought.

If anyone is interested in how large flood effect trout i recommend reading Dr. Kurt Fausch or Dr. Yochiro Kanno’s papers on environmental resistance as it relates to invasion biology of rainbow trout on brook trout it talks about how timing of flood during the year is likely important as far as when it happens. Its a hypothesis that needs more testing but seems like a logical one. Abstract doesn’t have alot in it really need to read the discussion section which means you need to get access through school or library.

All talk about timing of floods and how can effect different species

Happens most Falls during the spawn. The entire state needed that kind of rain though. The spawn will carry on for many weeks ahead, and in the springs, even longer.

I think one of the biggest concerns with high water and trout spawning is sediment covering the eggs and suffocating them.

Went out to look Monday. The water has come down significantly. I don't know if the old redds were ruined, but there were fish on fresh redds, actively spawning. I wouldn't give up on the fish this year yet.

I think one of the biggest concerns with high water and trout spawning is sediment covering the eggs and suffocating them.
Depending on the stream, bed load movement both in the form of scour physically disturbing redds, incubating eggs or sac fry, as well as deposition burying redds and incubating early life stages. As long as deposition isn't very fine sediment and doesn't clog the interstitial spaces, it may not be of serious detriment. Even though we got several inches of rain, I have walked along several streams where we got over 3in and it does not appear that any significant scouring occurred.

Per rrt’s comment: A fairly broad spawning period, obviously for some species wider than others, is an adaptation to such potentially redd, nest, or broadcast spawning disturbing events occurring part way through a spawning period.

Per rrt’s comment: A fairly broad spawning period, obviously for some species wider than others, is an adaptation to such potentially redd, nest, or broadcast spawning disturbing events occurring part way through a spawning period.
That is fascinating actually.

Back