Quill Jig Nymph

I have been turned on to quill nymphs by some of my buddies. Sleek body heavy bead allow them to sink really fast and get in the strike zone quicker.

It was the main component to the best day I'v had so far this year. (50+ Hookups) (36 Landings) (About a four hour beat)

seems like you got your answer right there!

I am neither surprised, nor impressed with the performance of a fly beyond the exact conditions that produced the success. Trout are not really very smart. As I have expressed in the past, I think their selectivity is due to their stupidity, not to their "intelligence." A lesson learned: you never know what pattern will work, but you can guess. And the more variations you have, the greater your chance of finding the right one.

If you get the link fixed, I guaranty some of us will be tying a handful. :cool:

PS, does it come in a dry version, or at least a softhackle?

Does it matter? You do not fish anyways.

Wha-choo-talkin' 'bout, Becker?

JackM wrote:
I am neither surprised, nor impressed with the performance of a fly beyond the exact conditions that produced the success. Trout are not really very smart. As I have expressed in the past, I think their selectivity is due to their stupidity, not to their "intelligence." A lesson learned: you never know what pattern will work, but you can guess. And the more variations you have, the greater your chance of finding the right one.

The more fish, the more I find myself agreeing with this. Assuming a "perfect" presentation, there is probably an advantage to having the "right" pattern, but I think it is a much smaller advantage than most suspect. As someone that has invested a considerable amount of time and money on fly tying, this is a difficult realization to accept. Fishing is not difficult because the fish are smarter than us, it is difficult because we are so clever at trying to be smarter than the fish.
Does anyone have a working link to the OPs pattern?
Mike.

FrequentTyer wrote:

0136-3169.jpg

There's two subtle differences, instead of a molded on lead head you have a slip-on tungsten bead and because of that you fish this on a fly rod and can claim moral superiority over the guy slinging gear.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=550868268269964&l=f6aa0f3dfe

You should be able to see this now. Sorry for the inconvenience. The fly really is a nymph but the body could be used on dries or soft hackles.

SBecker.
What do you think about this fly? I think I know someone who has plenty of similar patterns in his box :).

I wouldn't give that fly the time of day. Yet, it worked-- go figure.

Alright Willis. Lol

Valdi wrote:
SBecker.
What do you think about this fly? I think I know someone who has plenty of similar patterns in his box :).

Works and I like them because of their quick sinkability

gfen wrote:
FrequentTyer wrote:

There's two subtle differences, instead of a molded on lead head you have a slip-on tungsten bead and because of that you fish this on a fly rod and can claim moral superiority over the guy slinging gear.

Nope. Turns out it was just a Gordon Quill with its head stuck inside a ball bearing.

Once they figure out how to get the Mister Twister tail to stay on during false casting, they're going to revolutionize "fly" fishing.

UV epoxy

Back