Quick question about 3xl hooks

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

What are these hooks used for? I bought some like this at tco fly shop when I first started tying, not realizing they were 3xl. Never have been able to figure out what they're used for.

streamers, nymphs (stone fly) hoppers, stimulaters, etc.

I tie almost all of my nymphs on that style hook. Not sure what the fish think, but I think it looks more natural with a little curve to it when you consider that natural drifting in the water column is probably not straight as an arrow.

What I was mostly wondering is why is it that they sell that style of hook (slightly curved, different hook bend, standard wire) only in 3xl?

@belairsteve: Do you tie standard nymph patterns on them when they're 3xl and just go down 2 or 3 sizes so they're not too long? Or do you find hooks with the bend like that that are shorter?

I was thinking maybe it's a way of getting a lighter weight hook for dry flies... If you want a size 12 dry fly, but you want it to float really well and not be weighed down by the hook, you could use a size 18 in this and have 3x light wire, and a smaller hook bend to lighten it up even more?

Why would you want to tie a streamer on a curved hook like this one? Just seems weird to me.

I've always loved that style of hook for hooking fish. They remind me of kahle hooks. When it comes to bait fishing the river there are none better.

I've used them for all types of flys. (Drys, poppers and nymphs) 3x sounds pretty long, but the style of the hook will catch a lot of fish for you.

I put a bend in that type of hook and tie Klinkhammer-ish fly's on them. As mentioned above, they are great for stimulators.
Mike.

Back