Quick plan Juniata WW JAM 7/26 & 7/27

G

glenrockonthefly

Hi All

Well already have 3 people who are going to float the Juniata Friday eve 7/26 and Sat Morn 7/27. Still working out some details but here is what we have so far....

7/26 meeting around 4 or 5 floating 4-5 miles from Thompsontown to Millersville and then camping near millersville. Maybe Pittmans riverside campground we can use it as the pull-out site. We will base drop off site based on what time we get assembled So we are not pulling out much past 9:30 or so.

7/27 Meeting around 6:00am in Lewistown and launch off of river access road then float 6+ miles to PFBC pull-out along 322 downriver from Lewistown.

I have a PU truck that cam handle another 2 kayaks at pull out.

Let me know if you are interested...this is a bring your own boat float kayak or canoe.

Excellent!

Afishinado and I were discussing whether anyone would step up for a WW jam this summer. The Thompsontown float was what we did in 2010 - it's a nice section. Saturday is out for me but I can probably do the Friday evening event. There is a PFBC pull out just below Millerstown at the Greenwood Access ramp.

Good luck with this.

Would love to havve you along friday eve Dave! a chance to learn from the Master!!! as we get into next week I'll get the details more worked-out feel free to sound in with advice for patterns, put-in and take-out spots etc...

How far from Pittsburgh?

starting to come together 4 r 5 coming along for at least 1 float.

If you flipped the floats, I might be interested. I'm a party pooper and don't feel like driving all the way to Lewistown Saturday. How about the Susky from Halifax to Dauphin?

Also....if I go, I'll be slinging crankbaits and drinking lager. :-D

I'm in

Skybay...Good to have ya, more details will come in a few days

Krayfish...pretty set on the 2 floats, I'll have the spinning rod on board also especially for the deeper spots...I'll have the cigar burning and the black and tan pouring!

I'll probably just canoe around the Thompsontown pool.
Floating from Thompsontown to Millerstown is a bit of a stretch (at least for me) in an evening. You can paddle straight through in a couple hours, but I like to take my time and fish. We'll see.

The PFBC boat ramps on the Juniata are well placed, many being on very good fishing pools that have deeper water. Both the boat ramps at Ttown and Mtown (Greenwood) are located on good pools for both wading or boating.

OK so I am making this up as we go...and can use any help possible, i am not reallt familar with this river 1 float so far. I plan to stay friday night at Pittman Riverside gampground, I hope to get there mid-afternoon friday and get my tent pitched and camp made. My thought was to use that as an end point friday eve. I thought that could be the meeting point friday afternoon (entrance to the campground) from there depending what time we get started we we would select a put-in spot. The campground looks to be just under a mile downstream from rt 17 in millerstown. I'm not sure where any spots to put in are besides Thompsonville. If we get started around 5 or so 2 miles would be a good streatch to slowly work down and fish.

This is just what I was thinking...any other thoughts?

As for Saturday the plan is for 6 miles from Lewisville downstream, I have my locations picked out for that. Hope to hit the water around 6:30 at the latest, start meeting up at river access road around 5:30, so we can run some vehiles downstream

Ok so just a few days away!!! So please sound in and let me know if I can expect you friday or Saturday read my last post for my plans and let me know what you think...

glenrockonthefly wrote:
I plan to stay friday night at Pittman Riverside gampground My thought was to use that as an end point friday eve. I thought that could be the meeting point friday afternoon (entrance to the campground) from there depending what time we get started we we would select a put-in spot.
This is just what I was thinking...any other thoughts?

This plan is fine.
To be effective, it would be best to announce a link up point and time here on this thread so that readers will know where and when the event is (don't start another thread, all this does is create confusion). Personally, unless otherwise announced, I'll be at the T-town boat ramp at a time based on a work schedule that isn't clear for me yet. Due to a roof rack glitch, I will probably not have my boat and will wade fish instead.

As of this morning, the J is at 3.6' which is excellent for wading.

So lets make the Friday night spot the Thompsontown PFBC launch 5:00 or so

Saturday: 6:00 am River Access Road launch Lewistown

I drive a Green/tan F-150 ext cab, will have a red kayak, straw cowboy hat and most likely a cigar

Sean

I am planning on hooking up with FI to do some wade fishing on the Thompsontown pool on Friday evening.

I'll be arriving at Thompsontown about 4-4:30pm and will try to be at the boat ramp at 5pm for the linkup.

The river level is right about 3.7 which is a good level for wading as well as floating (will have to to get out and drag a boat in some spots). The water temps are also in the mid 70s which is lower and better.
Looking good for tomorrow!

Fished in the evening with DC410 and, although weather and conditions were nice, the fish were off. Water temps were mid 80s along the shoreline and clarity was about as clear as I've ever seen it. There was also a lot of algae clumps drifting in the main channel at all levels of the water column, which was a nuisance. A local feeder creek read 68 degrees and had hundreds of big suckers laid up at the confluence (and one trout). We caught a few bass, mostly small, and a bunch of foot long fallfish. The evening topwater bite didn't materialize - I couldn't get a fish to touch a popper. However, we did see many bass including multiple fish in the teens and one we estimated was over 20 inches. It was also good to see strong numbers of YOY bass along the shoreline as well as fish from last year. Redbreast sunfish were also common and DC410 got several hand sized RBs. The bass are there, they just weren't biting.
A handful of white flies were seen at dusk but the hatch is not underway yet on that section of river.

Back