quick access rod storage

3sip

3sip

I have just moved into a house with a class a stream in the back yard. I've got little kids so my fishing time is limited, but when I get a chance I don't like to waste time setting up I may only have an hour here or there. If i have several different set ups, what is the best way to store them so I can grab one and go in the shortest amount of time? I have lots of garage space and was thinking of a horizontal wall rack by the back door. You guys have any storage ideas or recommendations?
Thanks in advance

Put the rod and reel away before the kids see it or it will be broken in a few weeks. ;-) :cry:

Nice having a Class A in you back yard. :)

I think you have the right idea to build a horizontal rack sort of like a stretched out gun rack, and leave your rods all rigged up and ready for action. Good luck.

I store my fly rods broken down in their tubes, but for my spin rods (which don’t typically come with tubes) I store them using the screw in J hooks that you get from the hardware store. Could do the same with a rigged fly rod, would just need more hooks to account for the longer length of the rod. I screw them into the exposed joists in my unfinished basement and hang them there. Might be a better option than wall mount if kids are a concern. Just use a stud finder in the garage if finished with drywall to locate the joists. Screw them in through the drywall into the joist. Easy enough spackle job if you ever want to take them down.

Edit: (Yes, I’m a spincaster.)

Keep all the rods you don't want broken in cases.

Fly rods are easily broken.

thanks, I was looking into some of the rod holders that are plastic with foam to hold rods in place. they are pretty cheap and I can mount them up out of the little ones reach. just was not sure if anyone had experience with these.

With old fashioned 2 piece rods, you can take the rod apart with the line still strung through the guides, and put them in a case.

Then it's a very quick procedure to pull the rod out of the case and put the 2 sections together again and start fishing.

I've done this many times when going from fishing spot to another in my car. You don't even have to take the fly off.

Back