Questions regarding lehigh Valley streams.

T

Trouttacos

Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding the streams in the lehigh area. I have always admired the urban limestone creeks in the lehigh Valley and cut my teeth on the saucon. I haven't fished there in a few years due to getting the upper Delaware bug. Everything I have read lately online has been things are down in streams like the saucon and the little lehigh. Anybody still fishing these streams? catch rates way down? Hatches way off? I used to spend my winters on these creeks and some others and would always bring a few wild Trout to hand.the stuff I have been reading is kind of scary considering this wonderful resource.
Also thanks to those who helped stop the regulation changes on the saucon. Big win for the trout and anglers who enjoy this unique fishery.

Try the monocacy. It's still loaded from what I saw this past week.

I wasn't looking for new water to fish. But I'm glad to hear the monocacy is "loaded". Whatever that means.

Tacos,
I'm not a Lehigh Valley regular so can't offer much personal opinion. However, we have a lot of LV folks on this site and many of them feel that fishing has, generally, declined.

If you're interested in perusing the LV conversation and haven't already done so, try using the Advanced Search function at the bottom of the page. There's a lot of discussion of the area, and the Little Lehigh in particular.

Cautionary note: Perceived variations in fishing quality may be nothing more than angler responses to natural variations in year class strength. Wild trout populations undergo very substantial natural swings at times. Just the other day I noted that a Northern Berks wild brook trout population had varied from 10 to about 34 kg/ha across about eight surveys over a 35 yr period. It also did so over a roughly six or seven year period.

as in loaded with fish.
Sorry I tried to help you, good luck on your narrow quest.

The hatches seem to be quite reduced but the populations of trout are still quite good. I think they are much harder to catch though.

Mike wrote:
Cautionary note: Perceived variations in fishing quality may be nothing more than angler responses to natural variations in year class strength. Wild trout populations undergo very substantial natural swings at times. Just the other day I noted that a Northern Berks wild brook trout population had varied from 10 to about 34 kg/ha across about eight surveys over a 35 yr period. It also did so over a roughly six or seven year period.
Did post about this on the forum?

Sucks to hear that about the hatches.

The LV streams have good and bad years like any other streams. Last year seemed to be tough all around with low water conditions through most of the late spring and summer. The Trico fishing was not the best even though I saw some of the strongest hatches I have ever seen. The fish seemed to be not as plentiful in most areas.

On one stream in particular, I noticed that the overall pop. of fish was down in general, but the size of the fish was up. Quality over quantity.

I do not target these streams except for the Trico, BWO, Caddis and Sulphur hatches as I feel they are the best they have to offer. I have been on some streams where the hatches of BWO and Caddis have failed to bring many fish to the surface . . .

Take it for what it is worth. Next year will probably be completely different and this is just what I have experienced in my many trips to the area.

I spent the last 8 years living about 5 minutes away from the LL Fly shop and fishing the LL fairly often and my opinion is that the fishing quality has declined over that time period and, from what I'm told, has declined significantly over the past 15 years+. The hatches have declined generally also but some years have been good as can be expected. I can't pinpoint a reason for the decline but it has led to a substantial drop in angler participation.

I grew up in Phillipsburg, NJ and have been fishing the LV streams since 1966. The picture is complicated, but in general there seems to be a decline. Back in the 60's people said the limestoners were immune to urbanization, but now I think resistant is a better word. On the plus side, the Saucon was a dead stream from the zinc mine waste until the 1980's.

Back in the 60's all the limestoners had luxuriant weed beds, just filled with scuds. One could run your hands through the weeds and get a handful a scuds. The weeds kept the trout fed all year, but made some spots tough to fish. The pool above the dam at Binney and Smith was all weeds and it had wonderful hatches of olives and tricos with what seemed to be constantly rising fish. One couldn't use any underwater tactics with all the weeds, but the dry fly fishing was consistent. Actually, back in the day I preferred to fish the pool above than the plunge pools and riffle below.

First sign of stream degradation is that nearly all the weed beds disappeared by the mid 80s, but fishing was good and the Saucon was an emerging hot spot before the word got around much. Most places siltation was making the bottom unstable, but the Bushkill also had the very fine silt coming from the cement mills in Nazareth. In the Bushkill, they knocked down all the old stone arch bridges and put in modern steel bridges, usually straightening the stream in the vicinity of the bridge. This didn't help things IMHO.

In late 90's and early 2000's I was addicted to trico fishing and commonly went to work late to hit the hatch on the Bushkill, Saucon, or LL. Fishing pressure hurt this fishing. One morning I was fishing the Saucon early for the female duns and got a few, then I waited for the main event. That day the spinner fall was great, but there were no risers. Over on the Bushkill, catching one fish in a pool put all the fish down, something I never saw. On the other hand, the Heritage Stretch always saw the effects of pressure. The fishing was great the first two weeks the tricos were on, but the crowds got the fish spooky and other places fished better. In general, I would avoid the Special Regulation areas for better trico fishing.

I fished the LL every Sunday afternoon in the winter in the late 90's with some buddies. I typically caught about 20 fish in 3 hours or so of fishing and it was nearly all sight fishing. Most were nymphing, but there were plentiful hatches of brown, olive, and cream midges and plenty of olives on dull days. It was a great place to teach flyfishing because one could see the feeding fish, how the fly drifted to the fish and the fish's reaction.

The flood/drought yo-yo we have been on since the late 90's hasn't helped. For 30 years I never remembered the LL Fly Shop getting flooded, then all of a sudden it seemed to flood every other year.

I would say siltation is a major culprit for the decline. Of course the shallower streams push all the trout to the margins which makes fishing harder. I also think wading in the Heritage Stretch moves the fish around and makes them spookier.

The LV limestoners are still a decent place to fish, but don't have the steady fishing of 15 to 20 years ago in my opinion.

I agree with all the above. Seems like the sulphurs have taken a big dive. In the early 2000s I would go out right at dusk just about every evening and action was consistent. Some spots were better than others but you always had some bugs and a riser or two in most likely spots but now you might have to put work in just for that. Also it seems like when you get it right, it's a bunch of small fish.. FWIW I don't fish in the LV much after March as I start going to the big Lehigh and upper D more.

It seems like the conditions as in low water has made things tough especially in the fall. Low water and pressured/spooky fish makes it tough. Last fall I found some nice fish rising to olives but you could only stalk them down to take a look, once you stand up...gone before you get your fly unhooked.

One positive thing is some dams have been removed giving the big spawners and ambitious mid sizers access to/from the river. I know this always hurt the size of wild fish on the LL with the dam at 10th St...with all the pressure upstream there's no where to run and they're probably laying tightly in the few places to hide.

Back