Questions on Skagit/ micro skagit

B

blitzinstripes

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to any form of spey, but I have seen and read alot of buzz around the shorter Skagit systems. I'm specifically interested in if anyone here felt it would hold any advantages for Erie steelhead trib fishing. Coming from a guy here that typically fishes indicator rigs, but occasionally swings some small to medium streamers. Would a short Skagit line hold any advantages with turning over Indy rigs, mending, accuracy, line control, etc. over the wff or double taper lines I typically use? I have heard that the slick running lines such as Lazar are difficult to mend. Long distance isn't usually an issue on the Erie tribs which are pretty small water over all. The versatility of the commando system is appealing though. I would be looking to fish this on a one handed rod, probably a 10' medium fast 7 weight. Appreciate any feedback.

To me, there is no advantage anywhere for erie steelhead fishing. If you really wanted you could get an ambush line or similar.

The lines will turn anything over, but be careful because they turn it over hard.

Mending will be worse, accuracy will be worse, line control will be worse.

I dont really like Skagit lines anywhere but to me, they are best suited for swinging streamers in areas where there is zero room for a back cast and you want to bomb it out a long way. You want to be able to cast well because if your using someone like Lazar line you are pretty much not mending anything once your line is in the water. Skagit lines also handle heavy sink tips pretty well.

For a 10' 7wt get something aggressive like SA GPX WF7 or whatever the newest iteration is. You should be able to handle bobbers, streamers, and all the weight you need for erie trib. It's not often you need a sink tip in erie tribs but I'd bet that line would handle a lighter poly leader ok as well.

moon1284 wrote:
To me, there is no advantage anywhere for erie steelhead fishing. If you really wanted you could get an ambush line or similar.

The lines will turn anything over, but be careful because they turn it over hard.

Mending will be worse, accuracy will be worse, line control will be worse.

I dont really like Skagit lines anywhere but to me, they are best suited for swinging streamers in areas where there is zero room for a back cast and you want to bomb it out a long way. You want to be able to cast well because if your using someone like Lazar line you are pretty much not mending anything once your line is in the water. Skagit lines also handle heavy sink tips pretty well.

For a 10' 7wt get something aggressive like SA GPX WF7 or whatever the newest iteration is. You should be able to handle bobbers, streamers, and all the weight you need for erie trib. It's not often you need a sink tip in erie tribs but I'd bet that line would handle a lighter poly leader ok as well.

^ agree 100%

Thanks guys. Your points make sense. I wanted to weigh any real benefit before I shelled out for something simply because it's trendy.

Back