Questions about hatches on Big Fishing Creek in Clinton County

B

boychick

I've never fished Big Fishing Creek and I'd like to check it out next year. I'm also planning to chase the major hatches next year. What is the best hatch on BFC? What hatch would you choose to chase on BFC?

Thank you in advance to all who respond and have a happy Thanksgiving!

-B

Well, it's got just about every hatch in the book.

My favorite time there is mid aprii. Great blue quill hatch that lasts about two weeks. There are also hendricksons and grannoms at that same time too.

The green drakes are also fun. They're on there usually around the first week of june

Sounds like mid-April is a good time to be there. Thanks DFG.

I agree with dryflyguy, I like the April hatch. It also has a nice Sulphur hatch.

Isn't there a black / charcoal caddis hatch in late April? They might be a #14-ish

grannoms Andy yes

No. Black. It might be a #12 too. Not real heavy but got the fish up. Clouser sent me up there one time chasing it. Is it some type of sedge?

It's similar to black caddis on EB that hatches after the shad and apple caddis

The drake hatch is also impressive but crowded.

There are a ton of hatches on Fishing Creek in Clinton County, it could be said it has the best hatches of any creek in PA. Once the hatches start they go all summer and well into the fall.
Here's a short list of the some of the hatches.

Hatches for Fishing Creek

Strangely, the list doesn't include some important hatches, grannoms in April, tan caddis is August, and Isonychia # 8 during the summer.

Thanks guys! It sounds like I should spend the whole spring trout season on BFC. How do the crowds compare to Penns for the green drake?

I only hit it once during the drakes and I had to take what was left. Much of the beter looking water was already occupied. It's crowded but it wasn't nearly as jammed as Penns. YMMV

The Green Drake is a little different one to chase. Meaning, you have to do it, because the spectacle is amazing, and you can't really call yourself a hatch chaser if you haven't experienced this one. But you may only have to do it one year, at least on the famous waters, because the actual fishing can be pretty poor! Crowds confine you to a smallish area, and at times there are just too many bugs during the spinner fall.

That said, this hatch can be a less amazing spectacle, but better fishing, in some of the less famous waters where the bug numbers aren't so dang high and you can actually get a nice stretch of stream to yourself.

Pcray,

Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated. I never would have considered fishing the green drake on other waters. I did catch this hatch in 2013 on Penns. I was there for two nights, The first night was awful, but the second night was better. I think I agree with your assessment of the famous waters.

Thanks again!

Almost any hatch is better when there are less bugs on and in the water. At Penns, for instance, the trout can take underwater until their bellies are full. On Spruce, Fishing, etc. they will take surface duns more readily. I like to fish a dry fly.

First week of April is likely to be before the hatches start this year. Fishing Creek is a very cold stream in a cold valley, I've fished it in April it's better toward the end of the month most years.

April is usually the prime month. However, back in mid- March 2012 was the best spring fishing I've had all in SW/central PA due to temps in the 70-80s for an extended period. Fished over thick hatches of Quill Gs, Black Quills, #14 olives, blue quills and yellow stoneflies all hatching a month earlier than normal .. Not to mention the last time I saw the blizzard grannom hatch on the J.

Back