Questions about current Potter County stream conditions

C

crs5942

Hey everyone. I am going to be in Potter County for several days in early July. I was wondering if anyone knows how the water level is and if the hatches are normal for this time of year. Should I expect slate drakes? Yellow drakes? Sulphurs? Are the main streams still fishing well or should I keep to the colder tributaries? Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe Slate Drakes and maybe Yellow Drakes, but Yellow Drakes aren't very common. Stop at the Cross Fork Project and help out, info is on the PA Trout wen site.

Hi-

I returned tonight from an extended weekend in the Cameron/Potter county area. Fished First Fork of the Sinnemahoning Friday and Saturday evenings. Lots of rises by very particular trout. Lots of refusals. Managed a nice rainbow Saturday evening on a tiny, I mean tiny, olive in the surface film. All other attempts failed! But I do not claim to be an expert by any means. Water getting extremely low in all streams. Did not fish the "trench" at the top of the special regs section, but there were plenty of guys out there. The tribs are falling fast as conditions are looking like mid-summer. Didn't bother to fish during the day, and didn't have a chance to get up in the tribs and fish due to work around the camp. Did hike and there were some fishable areas, but all-in-all things are drying up. Need some rain! I am returning the first few days of July also, hope conditions improve, or at least hold their own!

blackberry hit the nail on the head. We need rain bad...we're supposed to get some T-storms today through Thursday, but sometimes that doesn't mean much.

Lots of fish rising, but they are very selective. I've seen a a few Slates on the upper Allegany and the First Fork, but I'd stick to the smaller stuff. #18 or #20 BWO and irresistible Adams seem to work OK.

If you're going to fish the smaller tribs, make sure you wear camo and are very sneaky. Even the stockies are spooked easily with the water so low.

The FF seems to have the best flow right now. Last week the water temp was 63 at Costello. I'll be on the FF again on Thursday and I'll post a report Friday morning. I'll probably hit it somewhere between Costello and Wharton.

The streams are low and warm, we need rain bad...There are some hatches of Baetis, Sulfers, and Caddis too. Also slate drakes and stoneflys..

Got a gully washer in Coudy today. Colored the Allegany up a little, but didn't raise the water at all. I'll hit the FF tonight and report on it tomorrow.

Had a pretty good morning on the Pine swinging very small wet flies through the riffs below the springs. Fly of the morning was a #20 Blue Quill wet.

Pray for rain.

Seen some Tricos floating in my pool. Wonder where the heck they came from?

Streams are sadly low but a couple still have some great fishing. Plannin on hittin up one this weekend. Will be low but should still be nice and cold. This cool weather should help too. Lows in the 40s everynight will help to cool off the streams.

went out on pine for some bass, lost one and caught a lot of rocks..also the bottom was crawlin with these...

and there were stone fly shucks all over..

Just got back from being in the Coudersport area for the past few days. Fishing was great using terrestrials. Caught a lot of real nice fish but, water was extremely low. On a a good note the water was cool due to some rain late last week and cool temperatures at night.

Ron

Back