Question regarding Class A

EuFly

EuFly

I’m looking for a simple answer, Class A Water sections are stated as Extended Season Jan 1 -> Feb 19 and Sep 3 -> Dec 31 No Harvest PERIOD, C&R only)
Sooooo does that mean the regular trout open season from April 6 -> Sep 2, Class A is open for Harvest?? Or is that assumption in-valid.
**I know this has been asked a million times, been looking around for answers and it just puzzles me more because those topic turned into an argument. And unsuccessful!!
**Ive looked over the 2024 PFBC summary book many many times, learned a lot but still don’t quite understand the ‘harvest’ period during the summer. I don’t believe I will fish during winter which is the Extended Harvest period.
Thanks guys! Any link, info that
I missed is greatly appreciated!

The Summary is pretty clear to me... :)

However, you can harvest trout ANYWHERE harvest is permitted during the regular trout season and that includes Class A sections.

However the caveat is some Class A sections fall under special regulations that restrict or do not allow harvest year round (Slate Run for example). So be sure to check the Class A List AND the Special Regulation stream sections for the county where you plan to fish.

BTW - You also need a trout stamp.

Last edited:
Yes, 99.9% of class A waters are open to harvest during the regular season. There are a few exceptions.

I catch and release 99.999999% of the time, but a wild trout tastes so much better than a mushy white fleshed stockies.

The Summary is pretty clear to me... :)

However, you can harvest trout ANYWHERE harvest is permitted during the regular trout season and that includes Class A sections.

However the caveat is some Class A sections fall under special regulations that restrict or do not allow harvest year round (Slate Run for example). So be sure to check the Class A List AND the Special Regulation stream sections for the county where you plan to fish.

BTW - You also need a trout stamp.
I figured! I also noticed the Class A was mentioned in 2023 but not 2024.
-Trout Stamp is same as Trout license correct?? Incase I mess that up too

Yes, 99.9% of class A waters are open to harvest during the regular season. There are a few exceptions.

I catch and release 99.999999% of the time, but a wild trout tastes so much better than a mushy white fleshed stockies.
I never ate one, hoping to try it soon. I do know brown trouts are protected recently for 2024, and those streams are near where I live. Thanks! I’ll hop down to class A and hope for a giant

I never ate one, hoping to try it soon. I do know brown trouts are protected recently for 2024, and those streams are near where I live. Thanks! I’ll hop down to class A and hope for a giant
Where do you live? Brown trout are only protected in a very select number of places...

I figured! I also noticed the Class A was mentioned in 2023 but not 2024.
-Trout Stamp is same as Trout license correct?? Incase I mess that up too

Yes, I didn't realize they changed the nomenclature. ;)

I only mentioned it because there are folks out there that want to believe if you fish where the streams AREN'T stocked, you don't need a trout license.

In regards to the brown trout being protected, that typically is only in effect on those Class A sections that are stocked by the PFBC. Only trout other than brown trout are stocked in those sections. The theory is only brown trout naturally reproduce IN those sections so the wild fish in the Class A sections are protected from harvest...

Those sections are defined on pages 16 & 17 of the Summary Booklet.

FWIW - IF you fish in one of those stocked Class A sections, the likelihood you will catch a LEGAL sized wild fish that isn't a brown trout is small so if your intention is to harvest, you would probably be wasting your time bothering to fish there.

Also keep in mind on many of those stocked Class A sections, IF the adjacent sections are Class A, they are under some kind of special regulation which often restricts or prohibits harvest.

IMHO - If you want to eat wild fish, you'd be better off avoiding those streams entirely and head to brook trout waters & hope to catch a legal sized wild brookie.

All fish in general are lucky I've been too lazy since I was kid to go through the hassle of keeping, cleaning and cooking my catch no matter how good they may taste. It's a whole lot easier buying my fish...

...but that's me.

Back