Question on George Harvey slack leaders

H

hondo

I am looking to tie up and try some George Harvey slack leaders and any help would be appreciated. I have the formulas but I some question for those who use them regarding the materials used for the "hard" and "soft" portions of the leaders. I have also heard that their is new or modification that has been made for the "hard" segments that may now employ a "softer" material for the butt section than the original.

The original Harvey leaders were tied with maxima hard nylon for the first 3 segments, then soft nylon for the rest of the leader.
Then he came put with a modified version for dry flies. It uses soft nylon for the whole leader.
I've tied and used both, and they were OK

Lately however, I switched to another leader formula that uses a 3 foot section of Orvis hy-flote for the butt section, then finishes with sections of stren mono line. I like it better

hey

post the recipe

thanks

i have used harvey leaders. i also tie them. have plenty in stock. originally tied using maxima chamo with the last sections soft or limp material. i would suggest john bailey's of dan bailey's fly shop. i believe it is called velvet if they still have it. i have no problems using straight maxima all the way. this leader was designed for the s, snake curves. this is how the leader should lay on the water, can be adjusted to the size fly by adding or subtracting the tippet length. always looked forward to seeing george and his pal joe. fond memories of shaking his hand and patting him on the back. a true fishermen.

got a little off track, memories always seem to fog my mind.

10 1/2 and 12 footers common usage.

Actually, it was DuPont hard nylon for the butt sections. It might still be available in Williamsport. It has no stretch, because it's been pre-stretched. The transition zone between stiff to soft is where material selection becomes most critical, because of the differences in strengths and the potential for the smaller diameter line being stronger than the larger diameter line, and cutting, resulting in knot failure.

Back