Question for tyers ??

sandfly

sandfly

How many of you Bronze your peacock herl and do you think it makes a difference ??

My mother bronzed my baby shoes ,but I have not seen peacock herl bronzed

henry when you were here last year you looked right at them..

I have never used anything except natural color peacock. I've never died any materials.

Is having bronze peacock hearl like having bronze balls? Haha

I've tried selecting bronze swords, leaving the herl out in the sun, and dying. I don't think it really makes a difference to the fish. Peacock herl seems to be a fish magnet anyway you deal with it.

Not the same opinion for quill bodies. You need to select some nice eyes to get good quills for bodies.

You don not dye them its a natural process that changes them,I am shocked no one knows..

Do tell, because now you have me curious.

pm sent

bronze on top normal on bottom;

Attachments

• 4-7-12 insects 093.jpg
    4-7-12 insects 093.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 4-7-12 insects 092.jpg
    4-7-12 insects 092.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 4
you still on heavy pain pills henry----LOL--yes mating and soon will produce solid gold herl....

Winnar you found the golden goose.
I have never used bronzed peacock herl, but I have used bronze color peacock Jan Simon dubbing.

I some bronze full peacock feathers (with eye) and I do use them, my sister got them for me at a yard sale years ago. I think they were decorative accents for the home. I have them arranged with some other feathers in an old wine carafe. I just strip off a few at a time when the mood strikes me to use bronze. It works. I use them on Wolly Buggers, picket pinns and the thorax of some generic pheasant tail nymphs.

I tried bronze but I didn't think it had as much color character (a term I just made up) as the "normal" peacock herl. I don't use any dyed herl either. I'm sure they work fine, but I just like the standard stuff.

yes and id rather have regular green herl anyday as i find it gives more contrast ,bronze tends to look kinda brown tan on a hook to me good for sulpher nymphs but not so for pheasent tail throax

i do bronze a good deal of peacock by keeping it in a vase with other feathers.some of it turns bronze,some doesn't.

my wife generally keeps hers mixed in a vase with pheasant tail and turkey feathers.she usually uses greenish peacock for her prince nymphs but often uses bronze for the thorax on a PT.

i use bronze if a pattern calls for it ,but don't see any difference in effectiveness.

Back