Question for the rodbuilders

troutfanatic

troutfanatic

Hey folks

I received a graphite-composite rod blank from a friend for Christmas. Not a known brand or at least one I would normally build on. It has a logo on it and some writing, it appears to be stenciled on with paint. what I cannot tell is whether or not it has a clear coat over top of the paint.
Anyways, I would like to remove the writing and logo as I prefer "blank" blanks that I can label as I see fit.

Anyone have any ideas how I can remove the logo/writing without messing up the blank?

thanks

Brian

What color is it?

you should be able to wipe it off with DNA. Acetone would work too but it may remove the paint from the blank also.

Test whatever you are going to use first on the butt section (under where the grip or reel seat will be installed) to make sure it wont remove the paint from the blank.

The blank is green, but I believe this is the material color versus paint because you can see the fibers that make up the rod. On the other hand, it has a very high gloss finish, I suspect that was applied.

I was considering gently rubbing the markings with one of those green plastic like scrubbing pads. Another remote possibility is a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

worst case, I can try a solvent like acetone and putting some on the butt section is a logical choice.

I am taking a guess that if I do remove the gloss finish, I can apply a small amount of new finish to fix the blemish. I generally use Trondak U40.

Does that make sense?

thanks

Brian

You could make a decal the same color as the blank with your own logo. If its not too far up, you could wrap thread over it.

I considered doing an elaborate wrap on it, but I am not very good at doing them. I am still considering that, especially if I screw it up when attempting to remove the logo.
I have a buddy that teaches elaborate butt wraps in rod building classes, I may reach out to him.

thanks

I'd try alcohol and a paper towel or cloth before something abrasive, but it's your choice.

troutfanatic wrote:
The blank is green, but I believe this is the material color versus paint because you can see the fibers that make up the rod. On the other hand, it has a very high gloss finish, I suspect that was applied.

Blanks are naturally slate gray (just like the graphite in a pencil)

If you remove the factory finish (gloss green) it's toast, you won't be able to fix the blemish. Trust me, scratched or otherwise removed colored finishes on blanks are just about impossible to fix and have it look good. Even blanks that have clear finishes and show the natural gray color of the blank are hard to fix if the finish gets messed up.

IMO, if alcohol doesn't remove it. Let it be.

Be careful with any solvents. Test the solvent on the butt where the grip will be glued before going at the inscription. Some solvents will quickly remove some blank finishes.

Kev

I removed lettering from a TFO blank using DNA. it didn't take it completely off the blank so I resorted to doing a wrap over top.

thanks guys. You have given me some ideas to work with.

I'm in the take care camp as well. A quick wipe of DNA and if that doesn't do it try to hide.

Maybe you can paint over it and do your marking?
Maybe you can try one of those feather inlays to cover it?

Back