Question about tippet material

B

BTRobertson

So in my zeal, I ordered three 110m (guide) rolls of RIO PowerFlex tippet material in 4x, 5x, and 6x sizes. It's nylon, not fluorocarbon, and I'm wondering if I made a big mistake. These rolls were a piddly $9.95 each versus $34.95 PER ROLL for the equivalent FC material. I mean, I realize the benefits of FC, but is it worth literally more than triple the cost per roll? Will nylon catch fish at more than three times the rate less? In other words, does the much higher cost make a much higher difference in the amount of fish caught? I don't think tippets catch fish, the fisherman/woman does, right?

Ok, first, Rio PowerFlex is a copolymer, not a monofilimanet. (although, yes, it's nylon).

Second, we've had huge arguments on this board on whether or not FC is actually better. And the general consensus is, yes, for some things, and no, it's worse, for others. Depends what you're doing.

The major disadvantage of FC is stiffness. Your Rio Powerflex is more supple and will result in a more drag-free drift than any FC brand. For ultra selective fish that are mostly drag shy, your Powerflex will outfish a FC. You're gonna see this advantage the most when fishing smallish dry flies. The other advantage, IMO, is stretch, which acts as a shock absorber when playing larger fish. Though with FC the lack of stretch can be compensated for with the right choice of rods and reels, plus technique. And if you want the stretch, you merely need it somewhere in your leader, not necessarily the tippet.

The advantages of FC are marketed to be visibility, but frankly, I and many others think it's a load of B.S. or at least severely overplayed. It does have real advantages, though. The biggest is superior abrasion resistance, so it'll hold it's strength better when rubbing against rocks, sand, and toothy fish. Trophy hunters and the saltwater crowd love it for this, and they're not wrong. Knot strength is another plus. And it won't degrade in UV light, so if you leave your leader on too long it's ok. And being stiffer isn't a disadvantage if you're tossing streamers or deep dredging with heavily weighted nymphs.

What's worth what is up to you. But your post makes it sound like FC is always better than a copolymer and it's all about whether you want to spend more to get more. That ain't always the case. Copolymers are actually better in some circumstances.

FWIW, while I have FC's and other brands in my arsenal and use them for certain situations, Rio Poweflex is my workhorse tippet of choice.

BT,

I nymph most of the time. i use a sighter leader with a tippet ring and I use fluorocarbon to build the leader. I use fluorocarbon fishing line in 4 and two pound test. I purchased from Cabelas their 4 pound test that cost around $16.00 but 200 yards and P-Line, 2 pound test fluorocarbon for around $18.00 and 220 yards. Been using this material for several years and don't see any difference than with fluorocarbon tippet. I still have alot left after two years of fishing and I fish a lot.

I've also used this fluorocarbon fishing line on regular nylon leaders to build leaders.

Dale

Then it sounds like I made the right choice for my style of fishing. Being a beginner, too, probably means PowerFlex was a good choice to go with. I wasn't saying one was more beneficial than the other, i was just trying to figure out why FC is so much more expensive than nylon (I read it again and saw that copolymer is the premium nylon right now). Thanks for summarizing the pros and cons of each; I'll stick with my PowerFlex! Much appreciated!

i was just trying to figure out why FC is so much more expensive than nylon

It's because it's simply more expensive to make.

Copolymers have been the nylon material of choice for some time, to the point where many don't even acknowledge the difference, they incorrectly call them all "monofilament". The vast majority of nylon tippet materials are actually copolymers.

It's the same material as a monofilament, nylon. It's just made differently. A monofilament is extruded at it's final diameter, it's just a strand of nylon. A copolymer is composed of a bunch of much smaller strands of nylon which are each made by a similar process. Those smaller strands are then weaved, like a rope, and then heat treated to bond them. The result is a more supple material.

A newer method of making leaders (not tippet), is manually weaving them in a tapered form, called furled leaders. They are becoming more popular, and have the same main advantage, but go even further. You can get a more supple material for it's diameter.

I do use straight, true monofilaments as well, typically as the butt sections of leaders. They are stiff, much moreso than fluorocarbon, but I like the butt sections of my leaders to be pretty stiff. Maxima Chameleon is a good example of a true monofilament.

I use FC tippet for nymphing, wet flies and streamers. I use mono or copolymer tippet for drys. My namebrand of choice is RIO for both.

Sweet, thanks all. So the moral of the story is that I could fish both types since they have their uses. Perhaps the initial investment of expensive FC spools would be good considering they're 110m (360 ft.), which would give me a ton of material. I don't FF much yet, but hoping I can put my four weeks of vacation to good use. ;)

The only problem with guide spools of powerflex is that it will probably go bad before you can use it all.

However, if you tie bad knots, as I did as a beginner, you might finish off that 5X within a year or two.

If you get a guide spool, lot it off into smaller spools to carry streamside. It won't go bad sitting in a basement, just keep it away from UV light and moisture.

As a beginner, I'd recommend just going with the powerflex. You're not going to see any real advantage with FC right now, the tippet isn't the weakest link, and you won't be fully exploiting the advantages of either. That's ok, you'll get there, you obviously have the drive now.

In a couple of years, start playing with different combo's.

Thanks PCray, that puts my mind at ease a bit. I ordered three guide spools of PowerFlex because I will likely be experimenting a whole lot more with different flies/patterns, drop setups, different lengths, different tippet sizes for varying water conditions, etc. as I ease into the sport. Until I learn what the trout hone in on at the different streams I want to fish, I may end up using a lot of tippet material. Plus I'm sure I will snag a whole lot more than usual until I learn how to cast properly. :) I will take your advice and keep it out of UV light and moisture, and spool smaller amounts for streamside. Thanks!

I use FC for all my FFing, and I don't see any disadvantage. As to whether copolymer is more supple, I can use a thinner FC and have the same strength. And it seems to have a longer life then Copolymer. The biggest difference is in abrasion resistance of FC. In small stream fishing it's important.
Each has it's advantages.

Each has it's advantages.

Correct.

I can use a thinner FC and have the same strength.

Somewhat true, but the difference is slight. And as fly fishermen we generally go by diameter, not strength. If you're primarily interested in chasing BIG fish where strength matters more, well, yes, that's an advantage of FC. As you said, each has it's advantages. And FC is definitely better suited to big, toothy things, so long as you have mono somewhere in the leader and/or a softer rod to absorb energy surges during fights. Even though FC is a touch stronger, if you have an all FC leader on a broomstick of a rod, you're gonna break off more fish because there's absolutely nothing to absorb surges from the fish.

It has it's place.

I use FC for all my FFing, and I don't see any disadvantage.

I do, but I also see it's advantage (as you mentioned, abrasion resistance). All in all the differences are pretty slight and most of us would be fine with either. Tippet materials in general have come a long way over the years. And like most things, as they get better, they reach the point where to gain one thing, you lose another. For instance, if you want more abrasion resistance and strength/diameter ratio, you have to become harder and stiffer, and hence lose some ability to control drag. Hence they begin to go in different directions and specialize for certain applications. You still see differences between brands within the copolymers or within the FC's, and there is some overlap. But generally FC occupies the stronger, abrasion resistant, STIFFER side of the spectrum.

Back