Question about stream reports section

psychobeagle12

psychobeagle12

Hmm, maybe I should have asked this in the reports section but I was wondering if the stream reports have to be streams with FFO or special regulation water, or if I could make a stream report on any stream that I fly fish. I wanted to add a report for Stonycreek in Cambria/Somerset county, but didn't want to do anything not allowed by the forum. Thanks guys!

psychobeagle12 wrote:
I was wondering if the stream reports have to be streams with FFO or special regulation water, or if I could make a stream report on any stream that I fly fish. !

Any stream you fly fish.

This also includes lakes, big rivers, or the ocean (frankly, we could use some more warm water reports).
The site policy is that reports should cover a single body of water in PA and report a single day of fishing, however, this is flexible. Out of state reports are welcome as, obviously, our readers fish out of state too. Reports from nearby states such as western MD or the NJ shore are especially welcome.

Reports that cover waters that are not publicly accessible (such as pay to fish private clubs) should be avoided.

Thanks for clearing this up for me! I will hopefully be going up there again tonight, so look for a report tomorrow!

I haven't fished a lot lately and have consequently not made many reports. But, I think a good report has two overriding aims.

First, it reveals current conditions, such as water levels and temperatures, hatches and other stream conditions. Second, it provides an historical record for those trying to research a particular stream or watershed.

I like reports with the specific helpful information woven into a trip narrative. Pepper generously with pictures.

I like to think of an important data set for the historical value as well. Others have suggested water conditions, weather and hatches already. The fishing report is good, but I use these reports when I travel and head to a stream I have not been too before. These reports are good for someone who might want to go to Honey Creek in June. What were those hatches and conditions in previous years?

So reports are good for the current week, but hold up over the years too.

Back