Question about Line

Baron

Baron

I bought allot of used Medalist reels in the autumn and most had line on them. I kept a few of these lines. One was so clean and nice that it may have been owned Bamboozle :-D .
I carefully cleaned each reel and got them all ticking along like clocks again. and now I am assigning a couple of the saved used lines to these reels based on my needs. One was a nice DT and I put it on the little Medalist and only 60' went on. this will work well.
One of these lines are odd, something I've not seen before. The tip is clear poly and thick for about 20-25' back into the line and then it blends almost seamlessly into the standard part of the line.
The one image shows the whole setup. The other in hand shows the blend from clear poly to colored line. Might this be a sink tip line? It came on a 1494-1/2 AK.

Attachments

• IMG_0039 2.JPG
    IMG_0039 2.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0040 2.JPG
    IMG_0040 2.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 2
Baron wrote:
I bought allot of used Medalist reels in the autumn and most had line on them. I kept a few of these lines. One was so clean and nice that it may have been owned Bamboozle :-D .
I carefully cleaned each reel and got them all ticking along like clocks again. and now I am assigning a couple of the saved used lines to these reels based on my needs. One was a nice DT and I put it on the little Medalist and only 60' went on. this will work well.
One of these lines are odd, something I've not seen before. The tip is clear poly and thick for about 20-25' back into the line and then it blends almost seamlessly into the standard part of the line.
The one image shows the whole setup. The other in hand shows the blend from clear poly to colored line. Might this be a sink tip line? It came on a 1494-1/2 AK.

Intermediate sinking line is often clear.

My pool was opened today so I can go try it myself. If it is what you suggest the non-clear further back should probably float?

Baron wrote:
My pool was opened today so I can go try it myself. If it is what you suggest the non-clear further back should probably float?

thats great! :lol: hope to get mine open this weekend if I get back from the not a jam in time.

Baron wrote:

I would guess the head is intermediate sinking line with floating line behind it.

You may very well find this line very useful for the panfish you fish for in lakes.

Yes it seems like a good opportunity to try out the sink tip idea. In addition to panfish in deeper lakes it may be helpful in Idaho in a month where there are some small deep lakes and also deeper pools on the Henry's fork where all the help is needed to sink a sawfly nymph.
I'll keep you posted thanks for the help folks.

Maybe a Wulff Ambush clear head intermediate?

Whatever it is I tried it this weekend at the lake.
Very nice line with a smooth transition throughout. Very slick and apparently rather new. The problem is it must be a heavier weight as my fiberglass 5wt can even begin to load it. I could barely toss it as far as the sinking part. It did sink rapidly so at least I know its a sink tip. Probably a 7-9wt.

Back