Question about kayaks

sgrim

sgrim

I'm considering buying a kayak for use on some lakes.
The primary use is for fishing, not just paddling & sight seeing.
I've seen options ranging from $250 - $1500; The high end of my budget is probably more in the $700 range.
I've never owned a kayak... what are some key things to look for in a fishing kayak?

thx-
Steve

For fishing and comfort, an SOP, Sit-On-Top is hard to beat. Check out the Pelicans, they have some good ones in your price range. This time of year you may find some good deals.

Get a sit on top with a stadium style seat in a 11.5-13 foot length. The more you pay usually the better the warranty, quality, comfort, and stability of the kayak. If you can test out a few. I have an Old Town Predator MX and I believe that retails for $1299. The Perception Outlaw seems to be a popular cheaper kayak that is getting good reviews. I believe its retailing for around $750. There are so many options these days though so you just gotta find one with the features you are looking for.

I agree with the sit on top recommendation. I have an ascend fs-12 and have no issues with it. It is stable enough for me to stand while fishing/paddling.

I own a Feel Free "LURE 10" 10 foot. Sit on Top. Designed for fishing. Works great. I think I paid $800 on sale two years ago. Very stable. Adjustable height seat. Designed to stand up on to fish although I have not got that brave yet!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am probably going to focus on something around 10' long. I think that would probably serve my needs, and I can cartop it easier.

sgrim wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am probably going to focus on something around 10' long. I think that would probably serve my needs, and I can cartop it easier.

Problem with the 10 footers is that they track horribly. If you river fish it might not be that much of an issue but I wouldn't want a 10 footer on a lake. They just do not paddle great. Also they often lack the stability the longer kayaks have.

bigjohn58 wrote:
sgrim wrote:

Problem with the 10 footers is that they track horribly. If you river fish it might not be that much of an issue but I wouldn't want a 10 footer on a lake. They just do not paddle great. Also they often lack the stability the longer kayaks have.

Yes^

A kayak close to 12 feet is long enough for good tracking and stability yet short and light enough for car topping.

Comfort, comfort, comfort! Get one with a real seat. I just upgraded to a native and my back and but is sooo happy.

A kayak close to 12 feet is long enough for good tracking and stability yet short and light enough for car topping.

I drive a Corolla :-(

sjg

I have this one for sale pretty cheap if you are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOUg61Cz44

I fish a 12 ft Wilderness systems ATAK. A bit pricy but extremely stable. I fish it mostly in the Chesapeake, Ablemarle, and Pamlico Sounds so it can take a bit of the rough stuff. They do have rudders that I’ve heard guys swear by to keep on track but I’ve never felt the need to install one.

Back