Question about balancing a fiberglass rod

MathFish

MathFish

I'm looking for some thoughts and ideas about balancing a one piece fiberglass rod I have. The rod is kind of tip heavy with any of the reels I own seated on it. I’ve noticed that I have to keep my wrist ****ed back the entire time I’m using it, but it’s really noticeable when I’m walking from spot to spot, so much so that I prefer to hold the rod above the cork so it’s balanced as I’m walking with it... The rod is fun as hell to cast and to fight fish with, but it’s nowhere near as balanced as any of the graphite rods I have.

It seeems that most reels today are too light to serve as a counterweight - at least the reels I’ve come across. I’m sure someone out there has a slick way to add weight to a reel or a reel seat in some way that doesn’t ruin the aesthetics of the rod and reel. I don’t want to just tape lead weight or wrap lead weights around the fighting butt of the rod. Maybe there’s a way to add weight to the spool or something?

I can’t imagine I’m the only one out there who has considered this... So, does anyone have some ideas for a way to balance a rod with a reel by adding weight to a reel? Or, is this just the nature of fishing with a glass rod? (I have the same issue with a bamboo rod that I have, except it’s even more off balanced with the bamboo.)

Thanks for any insight into this.

Is the reel seat down or uplocking? It can make a significant difference. Some use lead core trolling line wrapped on the reel spool. You also might consider a heavier reel like a Pflueger Medalist.

Salvelinus is correct. I, and a whole lot of other people find the perfect balance point for a rod and reel is at the front end of the grip.

And don't forget, when you have some line out the butt end will be even lighter, shifting the balance point forward even more.

Balance point is subjective (I like my rods to balance approximately where the grip meets the blank, at the winding check) and I strive for that with every rod I own including bamboo, graphite and glass.

Rod material is a factor but so obviously is the length of the rod and reel placement.

Because I went through the same issues as you, I keep a list of every reel I own, it's specifications (diameter, capacity & stated weight) and what rod(s) I pair it with.

If you tell me the material the rod is made of, the length of the rod and the line weight it is rated for, I can at least tell you what reel weight will balance the rod at MY preferred balance point.

How you achieve the weight is up to you (new reel or adding weight to the reel you now have) but suffice it to say having that information will save you a lot of time.

I got aroll of lead tape from a golfing friend. He said he got it at a golf pro shop for use on his clubs. (not sure how or why as I don't golf) Put some on the inside of reel foot to balance your rod (ie make the reel heavier).

You can also take the butt off the rod handle and place some rolled up tape in handle. may need to do some drilling.

If you want to keep the integrity of reel and rod, You can just wrap tape around handle.

PS. The tape is good for adding wt to flies (albeit larger ones or streamer with a bit of cutting)

You don't say the length, weight and fly line weight of your rod. Vintage or modern? As stated previously a vintage Pflueger Medalist 1492, 1494 or 1495 would probably balance the rod depending on the length, weight, etc.

IMHO, the entire subject is much ado about nothing. I'm amazed that people have nothing better to think about. But, if that's the case, by all means carry on ...

Back