Question about 10' Rods

Ryno17

Ryno17

Hey all, I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 10' rod mainly for nymphing. I've never used anything more than a 9' rod on the water and I can see where extra length could give me an advantage but never had the opportunity to try it out. I've been told by a few folks and also read that it really does give an advantage but I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences ? IE; Does the extra length give enough of an advantage to justify leaving my 9' rod in the truck when I head to the water ? Is it more difficult to net/land a fish with a 10 footer ? And also, if the fish start looking up while I'm on the water will I still be able to throw dries with a 10' rod ? I know that stream conditions and personal preference comes into play in the matter but just speaking in general terms. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks !

I have a 10' 5wt and I love it for nymphing and all around fishing. I use it mainly on big waters like Penns and First Fork of the Simemahoning. I even used it on the Breeches. I am glad I bought it.

I bought a 10 foot 5 weight Cortland "Brook" several years ago. The rod has since been discontinued which is a shame in my mind since IMO the "Brook" series were the best rods Cortland has ever made. Anyway I wanted a specialized nymphing rod. I am very satisfied. The extra foot really helps ALOT. It's much easier to keep line off the water and get better drifts. It also roll casts like a dream. When the fish start taking dries off the top I just modify my leader a little and continue fishing. I have more expensive rods that stay home especially if I know I'll be nymphing.

Yepper. Fishing medium - large water, it can be helpful. Nymphing, it gives you a little more reach to help control your line. Not a bad investment if you have a need for it.

Love my 10 footer for nymphing and fishing bigger water.

If you can make the Newbie Jam you can give it a try and see how you like it.

I built a 10' 4 wt on a pacbay quickline blank and used it for the first time last saturday on Spring. I had always used 9' rod there. the 10 made a bit of difference in reaching over some currents. didn't seem to be "too long" in the areas with some trees - just gotta watch overhead as usual. hooked only 7 fish and landed 4 all on nymphs - so I don't know about how well it plays fish - maybe I would have landed all with a 9' or lost even more. You do have a bit longer lever so when setting the hook the tip does move a bit farther than what I was used to with the 9' didn't fish dries but when I had to cast a little line it was OK - no big difference.
All in all a good experience - probably worth what I had in the components - would I buy a $600 instead of using my 9' - probably not.
I read somewhere cortland has a pretty good 10' rod for very reasonable price.

I have an 11' 3 wt which I purchased primarily for Czech nymphing. Love it and found it performed more than adequately with dries.

I went with the 11 footer because I felt a 10' would not be noticeable different from my 9'.

Back