Quck easy Ties for the Pine and Slate Run???

Flyfishmedic732

Flyfishmedic732

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for any quick and easy flies that I could attempt for an upcoming trip to the pine? I am fairly new at tying and am really working to get better at Tying. Just need a few ideas that I whip out for this trip...any ideas that might work for this crazy weather?

there is not much that is faster than a good old soft hackle.

partridge and orange,yellow and/or green.peacock and black,brown or gizzly hen.

PT and hen is good too,with a tail for a mayfly without for a caddis.

good luck!

Second the soft hackle. Easy tie that can be very effective fished within a couple inches of the surface to imitate emerging mayflies and caddis. One of my favorate flies for Pine in mid to late May is a #16-18 tan caddis emerger tied very sparsely and fished in the surface film. The fly I use is essentially a soft hackle, but fished dead drift like a dry. I has accounted for some oustanding evenings in the pool below where Cedar Run empties into Pine.

Right now these..

Attachments

• 5-23-2011 asaph 015.jpg
    5-23-2011 asaph 015.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 5-23-2011 asaph 016.jpg
    5-23-2011 asaph 016.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 6
Great!!! Thanks....I am actually working on a bunch of soft hackles (I really like tying them) definitely will be whipping them up for the trip!!

I was just on pine tonight, all I fished we're march browns and did extremely well. Not sure when your coming but a march brown comparadun and regular hackled dun were consistent all evening.

a hares ear SH is good for a march brown hatch.you could rib it with yellow or brown floss.add a turky quill wing,or not.

What sizes are looking at out there this time of year? 12-16s?

8-16 (10-14 average)

OK great....I am heading out there the second week of May, hopefully this rain procudes something and makes the water level rise a bit!!!

if we don't keep getting rain at least once a week you can expect low water again by then. what we got so far is a drop in the proverbial bucket..

wishful thinking LOL

What's hatching today, will be completely different than the 2nd week of May. Make sure you let others know when you plan on fishing so they can help give you the right advise.

Back