Quality vs. Quantity

beadhead

beadhead

I've fished this beautiful little stream near my home several times and have never caught a trout. It's been classified a class A stream, but I've always questioned it's accuracy. I'm drawn to it's seclusion and beauty, but sooner or later it has to produce a fish for me. Hell's Run is a good name for this Lawrence Co stream, It's harder than hell to catch anything here.

Beadhead,

When you do finally catch a fish there, perhaps you will be a better fisherman for the struggle.

It's mighty nice looking water. I'll second Padraic's point. I too have fished some "Class A" waters that seemed devoid of trout.

Beautiful looking stream. Keep at it!

I would be willing to bet that if you take the Temp. during peak summer months and the temp stays low in the 60's, then there are definitely trout in there. I would also guess that this stream holds brookies, which in my experience tend to be sluggish in winter. Try hitting this stream in the spring on warm days with a nice dry fly, I guarantee you will catch a trout.

BUT, key to catching skittish brookies is walking very slow and low. They can see you coming a mile away.

It's probably not a stream that will fish well during the winter. I fished it in August last year and caught some browns so they are there. Give it a chance to wamr up, it will produce fish. Very scenic stream in rugged terrain.

Beadhead, I never fished it personally, but i know a couple of people who have, and it does have trout in it. Beautiful stream, but hard to fly fish.

The class A really surprises me. I knew it was listed as a Wilderness trout stream, but I thought it was only a class B. I looked it up and the biomass found during the 2004 survey surprises me even more. 50.34 kg/ha for Brown trout??? Maybe their scales were off, or they including the bluegills.;-)

First check for macros (bugs under the rocks) then if the temperatures are OK when it is hot, (July August) there sould be trout.

Back