Purple Lizard maps of some PA State Forests

k-bob

k-bob

Bought one of these, and at about 2' x 30", printed both sides, with some good detailed trail info I like it:

https://www.purplelizard.com/collections/maps

These are handy and waterproof! I have found the Loyalsock and Pine Creek maps to be accurate and fairly descriptive of road conditions and trails.

Not knocking them, (oh well, I guess I am) but the generation that wants their fishing license on their phone so they don't have to carry it is using paper maps????

Or is just for geezers like me?

Maybe it's time to break out the PA Gazetteer...

...or should that be Geezerteer? ;-)

Bamboozle wrote:
Not knocking them, (oh well, I guess I am) but the generation that wants their fishing license on their phone so they don't have to carry it is using paper maps????

My thoughts exactly. The problem is that when I run out of signal then I once again wish for the waterproof paper.

"what do these maps tell me that the free State Forest Maps do already?"

A quick look at the PL map I bought shows some small trails and RR grades that are not on the online SF map. For the one map I bought, the PL also shows some state and local lands along isolated state forest areas that allow hiking, giving better access to some SF areas. These aren't marked on the online SF map. Both the PL and state forest maps seem very detailed, think I will use both.

I use the PL maps A LOT. Mostly when with the gf because it helps her to find nearby attractions/hikes and helps us to gauge road conditions and elevations and such. They're a bit pricey but when you have no service and a couple hours to spare they can show you a cool view or a rock maze.

Baron wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:

My thoughts exactly. The problem is that when I run out of signal then I once again wish for the waterproof paper.
That's the reason I rely on a handheld GPS, not a phone with mapping and GPS capabilities.

A handheld GPS has the maps installed and satellite reception is never an issue with a decent GPS. In other words, they always work...

Phones on the other hand are a crap shoot.

I use a garmin dedicated gps w a very new garmin topo map when brookie fishing. But the PL map looks like it will add value because it has some small trails and rr grades not on the most detailed garmin topo. I do use the phone since I like its satellite image maps but yes it may or may not work in a remote area.

Also a big paper map like the PL is great for driving navigation in remote areas. Small screen on my gps at least is not great for this.

These are excellent maps.

I'm pretty sure Slate Run store sells the Pine Creek valley map. Just stop in there and take a look.

The guy who designs these maps previously designed the Trails Illustrated maps before starting his own business.

K-bob, do you know what the contour interval is? Just curious, I may pick one of these up.
I have the "All Outdoors Atlas and Field Guide" for both eastern and western Pa, which is great for when 4G service is a distant memory, but its a little cumbersome and you can't carry it with you outside the car.

"K-bob, do you know what the contour interval is?"

PL contour interval is 50ft. imho more effective than online SF
contours... blog gives a PL map image that is Pine north of Blackwell.

https://pabucketlist.com/visiting-stone-quarry-run-falls-and-water-tank-hollow-falls/

The benefit of PL over gazetteer or the all outdoors guides for PA is that it's the size of a brochure and you could fold it once more. Also, it is waterproof. Yes, they are a little pricey but pick the area you spend the most time in and check one out.

the blog w a PL map image...

https://pabucketlist.com/visiting-ston ... -water-tank-hollow-falls/

describes water tank falls ... PL map snip in blog gives water tank run a name not on online SF map... shows elevation profile more clearly... other small tribs/hollows named on PL but not online SF.

PL looks good for hiking, brookie fishing. for ex., 50 vs 200 ft contours do more to show you steeper stretches in a stream so more pools.

I've been using purple lizard maps for years for backpacking and exploration of forests. After all, Rothrock was the first one made and that is right by where I live. I own nearly all of them and yes, they are worth it..they are so much better than the free maps by the DCNR and way better than a stupid map on your phone that you have to scroll around to see the whole picture.

Plus, I've always loved maps.

Several years ago, I was trying to find out where the designated camp sites in the Rothrock State Forest are.
And couldn't seem to find them on any of the on-line maps.

So I bought the PL map - which shows them.
There are also a few other things that I don't believe any other maps show too.

I really like it, and think they're worth buying.
But I'm a map geek..............

PL map got me thinking about advantages of paper vs digital (phone or gps) maps for brookie fishing.

advantages of paper: big display area (almost 2' x 3' PL vs small phone or gps screen); no unreliable cell service required; not fragile.

adv of phone or gps: use many layers, such as satellite image, topo, navigation maps; any area of geography; interact and show + record your location; frequent map updating; ez to carry; great free content/maps.

so nice to have both. the PL map content is very good on elevation, road and trail conditions, makes use of the big display area (printed both sides) but still ez to carry. they seem to deal with the updating issue for a paper map - their rothrock map is 7th edition w/ first '97 I believe. showed me some new places to fish right away.

Huge map geek here too.
Absolutely love these!

The Purple Lizard maps are a stand out product in the world of cartography. They are geared towards hiking/mtn biking but it's an easy jump to using them any way you like. Confess that I am a map geek at well(PSU triained in cartography). On that note, the owner/founder of Purple Lizard is a great guy by the name of Mike Herman. You'll find him at Elk Creek Brewery occasionally after a long day on Penns. Herm was a mtn biking/my room mate at PSU and let's just say he put his cartography degree to a much better use than myself. I really admire his accomplishment.

Take away: great product from a central PA guy/company,.

5 years till this joker posts again

LigonierA1 wrote:
The Purple Lizard maps are a stand out product in the world of cartography. They are geared towards hiking/mtn biking but it's an easy jump to using them any way you like. Confess that I am a map geek at well(PSU triained in cartography). On that note, the owner/founder of Purple Lizard is a great guy by the name of Mike Herman. You'll find him at Elk Creek Brewery occasionally after a long day on Penns. Herm was a mtn biking/my room mate at PSU and let's just say he put his cartography degree to a much better use than myself. I really admire his accomplishment.

Take away: great product from a central PA guy/company,.

Back