Punctured Fly Line Question

L_soult

L_soult

While fishing this weekend I noticed that my fly line no longer stays on top of the water in the last couple feet. Some of the guys at the jam said its getting water logged. This makes sense since I trimmed the tip a couple times before I knew it was permeable on the cut end. I got a few tips that involved sealing the end with adhesives and using floatant.

Today my hook pierced my line which I can recall happening several times since I bought it.

Q: Is there a fly line treatmet that permanently seals the outside surface once its been compromised in unknown locations?

If there is a tiny spot where the line is blemished from a small cut, apply a very small dab of Krazy Glue. Worked for me.

Ok... now I remember.... vacuum cleaner.

You were the 2nd person to say crazy glue.

I could inspect the line for where the hooks went in. 15 feet or so shouldn't take too long.

Thanks.

I don't know of any permanent treatment to seal a fly line but you can apply a line dressing. That should keep it floating for awhile before you need to reapply. I use this http://buy.scientificanglers.com/accessories/cleaning/scientific-anglers-accessories-fly-line-dressing-w-pad-html.html

As for nicks and cuts on your line I'm sure superglue or epoxy would work. I learned a trick from Bruno and Albatross recently. They used Loon UV Wader Repair on a fly line. The stuff cures pretty fast in sunlight.

I didn't realize it but when we were fishing Spring I had a bottle of line dressing in my pack. We could've run your line thru a cloth and dressed it real quick. Sorry about that.

Remember, also that fly line will sink when it gets dirty. ;-)

Look in the tips tricks section. I did a few perfection loops on some of my lines. And the reaaon all that started was from originally splitting my line with a hook. Pretty simple te melt it back together. If you have any queationa feel free to ask.

super glues dry hard, use softex (thinned goop too) to seal and water proof lines. stays flexible and is what I do for customers.

They make a flexible super glue, but I like the idea of the UV glue.

Back