Proposals from Congress > EPA

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
FYI:

http://www.btlonline.org/2011/seg/110902bf-btl-goldston.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/epa-house-republicans-_n_937064.html#s339604&title=Block_EPA_From

good articles. i still don't understand why anyone would want to do away with some of these environmental protections. I guess for the sake of jobs, but i haven't seen any conclusive evidence that it would actually create a significant # of jobs. have we learned nothing from the past?

My company just announced we're building a massive new facility with 400+ good new jobs. In PA? Nope. They wanted to and tried. Permitting and emissions regs. Goin down south somewhere.

Yeah, they cost jobs. Yeah, they protect the environment. Life is about trade-offs.

pcray, very true about the trade offs. Although i can't say for sure, my guess is that the permitting & regs didn't say they couldn't build the facility here, it was probably an issue of the cost being too high. There are a lot of factors at play with domestic jobs, but the strategy of creating jobs at the cost of the environment seems unecessary and counterproductive in the long run. Seems more like a short term fix rather than a long term solution.

Two words...CLEAN WATER We need it. When we don't have it, the planet (and your kid) dies. Screw fishing...screw wildlife. Its about clean water. Without it, nothing else matters.

Good articles?? Each is rather short on detail don't you think? An activist lawyer from the Hysterical Resources Defense Council claims there are almost forty riders threatening clean water, yet he can't give us any thing of substance to ponder. He mentions the issue of clarifying which waters are covered under the federal CWA. In fact, the CWA defined those waters in 1971 as : "Navigable Waters". The executive branch has interpreted that term (Navigable waters) rather broadly over the past 40 years so that nearly every stream and river and their adjacent wetlands are covered by the Act and therefore regulated by the EPA and Corps of Engineers. However, about 20 years ago, the EPA and Corps took it upon themselves to regulate man-made drainage ditches, roadside swales, stormwater basins and erosion gullies in farm fields as well. In 2006, the US Supreme Court ruled against the Corps/EPA in the Rapanos case, clarifying that the gummit could not simply call those "waters" navigable and thereby regulate them without first getting Congress to ammend the CWA. Naturally the bureaucrats didn't like that answer so a few months ago they proposed an executive rule change instead. So, in the end, Congress is inserting the riders to prevent the bureaucrats from regulating ditches and drains and stormwater basins in a manner which the Supreme Court ruled illegal. It's too bad the NRDC apparatchik didn't tell us that part. But of course there was no time for that because the sky was falling and the interviewer was not the least bit curious.

I don't see very many clean rivers down south, heck they dump there latrines on their boats into water suppliy reveroirs.

I think that the Clinton Administration pretty much proved that you need environmental protections to create jobs, it's not the other way around. Environmental protections help the economy they don't hurt the economy. The only thing environmrnt protection does is prevent goons from making water undrinkable and air unbreatable at our expense.

Back