Private Property Right of Way on the Brandywine

F

flyfishermanpa

I would like the opinion of the group concerning this land owner on the Brandywine. If anyone fishes the Delayed Harvest Stretch you will know exactly where this is.

Monday, August 6, 2007

Posted on Mon, Aug 6, 2007
Land owner, officials clash
By JOHN ROSSOMANDO
UPPER UWCHLAN — A developer’s decision to close off his 45-acre property has brought him into a confrontation with state, county and local officials.

The property in question is located on a strategic juncture at the north end of the Struble Trail and mouth of the longtime Marsh Creek dam access road.

The developer, John Shelton, has drawn criticism for recent actions, including the construction of a fence and the chopping down of numerous trees at the access points to both inlets. Some residents have also alleged he scattered roofing nails along the dam access road to deter people from accessing his property.

State Rep. Curt Schroder, R-155th, of East Brandywine, wrote of the allegations in a May

Advertisement

11, 2007, letter to state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) Secretary Michael DiBerardinis, calling them “truly reprehensible.”

“This mindless act poses a threat to public safety and health,” Schroder wrote.

Schroder said he was also concerned by Shelton’s May 2006 revocation of the easement that formerly allowed the DCNR to access the dam to test water going to the Downingtown Municipal Water Authority. Since the revocation, DCNR has found another route to access the dam for water testing.

Supervisor Catherine Tomlinson agrees with Schroder’s appraisal of the situation because the township previously had an agreement with the state park prior to Shelton’s revocation of the easement to use the access road for emergency services. Last year’s summer storms brought the road’s importance to the fore because fallen trees made providing emergency services at township’s southwestern end more difficult.

Shelton and his wife, Linda, denied any knowledge of the nails allegations, and said they had no desire to see anyone deliberately injured on their property.

The fence, Shelton said, was erected at the township’s request. Township Codes Enforcement Officer Al Gaspari had contacted him allegedly at Supervisor Catherine Tomlinson’s request, asking him to secure the property. It had become “an attractive nuisance” for vandalism and for teenagers who congregate on the former railroad bridge over the Brandywine Creek, Shelton said.

“I opted for fencing and procured fencing because I was asked for a means of securing the property,” Shelton said. “We have suffered at least between $70,000 and $80,000 in damages from the theft of copper wire.”

He said the fence was also erected with a township permit after efforts to deter people from entering his property with signage and after working with the township police failed.

Tomlinson, though, disputes Shelton’s claim, saying she was appalled by the fence’s erection, and she said Township Manager John J. Roughan Jr. had asked Shelton to take down the fence as an “act of good faith” at a May meeting. She said Shelton’s failure to follow the prior property owner’s example of allowing public access to the land has contributed to resident ire.

The property’s strategic location adjacent to Marsh Creek State Park makes it an attractive potential addition to the park, and Schroder said DCNR might have money available together with the township and the county to acquire it. Plans for extending the Struble Trail increases governmental interest in the property and its acquisition.

“I think public interest is present with the presence of the trail and park access,” Schroder said. “If a governmental body were to decide to take it, it would probably have a lot of public support based on the number of people who have contacted me.”

Schroder, however, hopes a less drastic agreement can be reached with Shelton for the property.

At least 100 county residents have also complained to the Chester County Department of Parks and Recreation about Shelton’s actions at the Struble Trail’s north end.

The county has indicated it opposes using eminent domain to acquire the property because of the freshness of the memory of Coatesville’s attempt to seize Nancy and Richard Saha’s property. County officials are sitting on the sidelines awaiting what happens between the Sheltons and Upper Uwchlan.

Upper Uwchlan sought to purchase the property in 2005, but it could only come up with $500,000 of what township officials estimated was a $1.5 million price tag at that time.

“We didn’t have the funds at the time, but that was before we had the $10 or $20 million bond issue,” said Supervisors’ Chairman Charles Lobb.

However, Linda Shelton said Friday she and her husband received a $4.8 million offer for the land from a developer, and they would want a minimum of that amount from state, county or local government.

The Sheltons say they have been trying to meet with Schroder, the township and other officials for some time.

“We called Curt Schroder’s office about a year ago to get all of the players together,” Linda Shelton said, but the meeting never happened. “Is there something wrong with what we have when it is this important to the community. We want to come up with a plan that not only works for us, but for everyone else in the community.”

Schroder said he declined the meeting because he felt the matter should be handled by the township.

John Shelton said they offered to donate 25 acres of the 45-acre tract to the township when they obtained the property in early 2005, but they allegedly were refused because they were told their plan did not meet zoning requirements. Tomlinson, however, said she didn’t remember Shelton had offered the property to the township.

Was this in the Downingtown paper?

Anyhow - if anyone was wondering why the DH section of the EB has been unevenly stocked for awhile, the WCO told me that the state has modified their usual stocking protocol to adapt to the new difficulty of patrolling for poachers, now that the upper end has poor access.

A couple of folks from Valley Forge TU have been looking at this situation, which is being (mis?)managed by the developers, at least relative to winning the love and respect of the many different types of users of the Struble Trail: fisherfolks (not just fly), walkers, bicyclers, bird watchers, etc.

There is also a concern that the erection of the posts by the mill impedes the access of emergency equipment in case of medical or other needs - that access has been used before the posts went up, so it may be just a question of time before someone who takes ill may be worse off from delay in first response. I suppose in that case, maybe the poor soul (or his/her survivors) may have a basis to sue the posters.

Was this developer the same folk who cleared and partially developed the shore downstream of the Dorlan Mill parking area? Subsequently Mother Nature provided proof positive that that cleared section was indeed a flood plain, not once but several times.

VFTU has a history of not so much stifling developers, but rather working constructively with them so that whatever development results is done responsibly for other users and the environment. Some think that the DH area has the potential to be a condo/commercial mini-city, considering its location and access to Rte 30, and natural beauty, at least up to now.

Of course, like the many areas around here called Fox Run, Cold Spring whatever, and so forth, those developments sometimes destroy their namesake. But how about a moniker like East Branch (formerly) Trout Valley?

tl
les

Chester County will be one contiguous development of 4,000+ sqft single-family homes, luxury condos, chain restaurants, malls, Lexus and Mercedes dealerships, and banks - all with no way to get to them because of gridlock on the single lane roads. My predication is that at the current rate of development this will happen by August of 2015….oh, that’s only if the sun doesn’t explode first…

I finally got around to reading this one.

the short answer is ... Not enough info.

Keep in mind that I have never been there, and this is the first I have heard of this issue. This is my first impression of the situation based soley on the article provided. If it is private land, he has every right to post it and fence it. If just half of what the landowner said is true, I can't blame him for doing it either. Most of his claims were not actually disputed, Rather, they were danced around and the rest of the article is playing on emotion.

The fence, Shelton said, was erected at the township’s request. Township Codes Enforcement Officer Al Gaspari had contacted him allegedly at Supervisor Catherine Tomlinson’s request, asking him to secure the property. asking him to secure the property. It had become “an attractive nuisance” for vandalism and for teenagers who congregate on the former railroad bridge over the Brandywine Creek, Shelton said.
“I opted for fencing and procured fencing because I was asked for a means of securing the property,” Shelton said. “We have suffered at least between $70,000 and $80,000 in damages from the theft of copper wire.”

He said the fence was also erected with a township permit after efforts to deter people from entering his property with signage and after working with the township police failed.

Tomlinson, though, disputes Shelton’s claim, saying she was appalled by the fence’s erection, and she said Township Manager John J. Roughan Jr. had asked Shelton to take down the fence as an “act of good faith” at a May meeting. She said Shelton’s failure to follow the prior property owner’s example of allowing public access to the land has contributed to resident ire.

A lot of people noticed what this said. However, I also noticed what this doesn’t say. It doesn’t dispute the parts in bold. If they could dispute it, I would think they would. He gave a name, so they probably checked. If Mr. Gaspari responded that he didn't say that, then I think it would also have been included in this article. He was asked to secure the property, and he did. Now he is tha bad guy because he listened to the Towship Codes Enforcement Officer. Or at least that is what it looks like.

Then you have politicians wanting to just take the land by their own admission?

I have to wonder who is telling the truth. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Don't assume he put the nails there either. For example, I know of a volunteer fire department which allowed the state police to set up a speed trap in there parking lot. Some idiot came along and retaliated by scattering a box of drywall screws in front of the garages.

There is a lot of dishonesty in this article, either by the property owner, the local politicians, or the writer. ... Or a combination of the three. Or it was just very poorly written. I just don't know which, therefore I cannot give a definitive response other than it was his right.

Interesting article. I live a stone's throw away from the DH section and have fished it for years. I was extremely disappointed when I saw the posting. I was even more disappointed when I started to see chains go up to block access. I still continued to attempt to fish the spots within the posted areas albeit less successfully as the fish populations plummeted with the postings. When I saw the fencing up, I was utterly disgusted with this guy. I can understand trying to protect property and keep trouble out but when you block access to a public park and to a gem such as the EB, you really need to look in the mirror. And if allegations of purposefully attempting to harm people to keep them out become true?... Good luck with that one.

Schroder always seems to have the public's best interest here. I am hoping VFTU does get involved as well.

My understanding of this situation, which comes from some fliers posted at the DH section from locals, is this. The Sheltons wanted to build alot of new houses on their property but the town stepped in to zone the area and cut the number of houses that would be built in that section based on proximity to the river, the struble trail, and the Marsh creek park. The Sheltons then go pissed off at the town for limiting the development of the land and started acting like little children by putting up chains and fencing off access to struble trail/Marsh creek park in retaliation.

Granted, this information all came to me from a public notice posted at the DH section, but I tend to believe the concerned citizen over the wealthy developer in the vast majority of cases. When millions of dollars are at stake, developers tend to abuse the public to make a buck.

I know nothing about this situation other than what the article stated and now what has been said in this thread. Roughly 1/3 of the way into the read of the article, I thought that it sounded like these people were after money. The last few paragraphs seemed to support that along with the additional information given in later posts. My opinion is purley a hypothesis since I don't know enough about the entire situation. No matter what the case it's a shame. I hope you guys can garner support and keep the stream open in that section. I know how I'd feel if I lost my favorite stretches of water.

Just to make myself clear. I didn't say that the guy did the right thing. I only supported his right to do it and said i couldn't blame him based on the article alone. That article does appear to be twisted.

Doesn't the history of the East Branch make place it in clearly in the commercial / public domain. This fella could get pulverized from a legal standpoint.

BTW -- here on the West Branch property owners and farmers have always been VERY nice to me. On buck run, one farmer actually comes down and joins my daughter and I when we're wading behind his house. I have yet to run into the wacky and possessive landowners we hear so much about. Maybe most people are halfway decent? :-?

Not sure what you are getting at. On what grounds could he get pulverized from a legal standpoint?

I doubt the stream was ever declared navigable in court, and that might actually be irrelevant in this case. OK, for the sake of agrument, lets say it is navigable in fact and that has been established in court (doubt it, but lets go with it). All that means is he cannot restrict anyone from using the stream. However, he can still restrict the use of his land around the stream for access. I don't recall anything saying he fenced off the stream. He fenced off his land which he does have a right to do. Even if a stream is navigable, nobody has the "right" to cross private land to get there. We may not like it, but it is his right to close his own property, and it did say he got the proper permits for the fence.

If his intent was to restrict access to a navigable waterway, I think the right lawyer could make an excellent case. -- My home water, the West Branch of the Brandywine, has a deeply estalished commercial history -- The East Branch should too, given the number of Iron forges that once lined its banks. I think a little research would be enough to create a legal foundation for access.

While I understand the rights the property owners do/should have over their land, I fear what might happen in this country should access rights erode. Members of my family still live in Ireland and the UK where you have to pay the gentry ridiclous amounts of money to fish "their" waters. I'd hate to see that happen here. However, in the UK, hikers have the right to pass-through private lands (in many cases).

I certainly hope that the balance we achieve in this country does not tilt exclusively in the direction of the privledged.

ginkyhackle wrote:
If his intent was to restrict access to a navigable waterway, I think the right lawyer could make an excellent case. -- My home water, the West Branch of the Brandywine, has a deeply estalished commercial history -- The East Branch should too, given the number of Iron forges that once lined its banks. I think a little research would be enough to create a legal foundation for access.

You can think that if you want, but ...

There are two issues in this that you seem to be having trouble separating. One is whether or not the stream is navigable. It probably is from what you are telling me. I don't think anyone is challanging that. However, it is irrelevant because of the second issue.

The second issue is whether or not the private land owner has to allow access other land (private or public). He does not, and i don't car how good of a lawyer you get.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do know from helping my wife through here PA real estate courses that you cannot legally landlock anyone. If your property completely surrounds another persons property, you must allow access. However, this stream or the land under it is not landlocked. It is not completely contained within the property. It flows through the property. You can access this part of the stream from upstream or down.

We may not like it, but it is the way it is.

I would be totally against any new law that would force a landowner to allow access to or across his land without permission. It would probably be unconstitutional.

Constitutionally speaking, there has always been a struggle to balance the rights of the individual with "public good." It think this debate is a good one, and it is certainly one that is receiving a lot of attention at the national level. If you haven't read the article about the divisions the issue has created in Trout Unlimited, you should. It's on-line:

http://www.flyrodreel.com/index.php/page/issues/sku/FRR2007_07/id/19311

If I understand Farmer Dave correctly, he believes in firmly in the rights of property owners to have control over their land and material assests. I would argue that property rights should/do not extend that far and that limitations on the absolute rights of property owners protect the common good in many cases. I do, however, believe that these liberties should no be punatitive or excessive. Many state set limits on property rights, and Canada actually has a completely different interpretation of property rights (esp. mineral and water rights).

. . .And one more thing. Public access to private land issues will become more problematic as the population of the country continues to increase. In Maine, this is becoming a huge issue:

http://www.umaine.edu/mcsc/MPR/Vol15No1/V15_acheson.pdf

Also, in Wyoming and Montana, pilot program are being established by the state to find compromise paths between public access and unlimited property rights.

Ginky,
Thanks for the link. After reading Gauvin's comments I no longer believe his "advertising" of Spring Ridge was inadvertent.
Jay

Farmer Dave wrote: “I'm not a lawyer, but I do know from helping my wife through here PA real estate courses that you cannot legally landlock anyone. If your property completely surrounds another persons property, you must allow access.”

Dave,

I was looking to buy some hunting land in the mountains a while back, and came across a great deal on some beautiful land on the top of Dutch Mountain in Lycoming County. I researched the property and found it to be completely landlocked by another property owner. I consulted a real estate attorney, and he informed me that contrary to what most people believe, the landowner is not compelled to allow access through his property. I met with the neighboring landowner to purchase a permanent easement to his property, but he declined. I passed on the parcel because of this.

Back to the original subject of the post, I live in Uwchlan Twp. close to the Brandywine. The situation as I understand it, is that the property was purchased the a few years ago with the intention to develop it, or sell it to developers. The previous owner allowed access to the Township for emergency vehicles, and allowed access to the adjacent Marsh Creek State Park. Also access was granted on the other end of the property to the public for walking and biking trails. The East Brandywine Creek and the DH area runs through center of the property.

The new owner rescinded the easement and fenced the area off, most likely because the Township is restricting development of the land – a Mexican standoff. The bottom line is that the township wants the property to be a park, and the owner wants to develop it. Fishing is the lowest priority for the property, and navigability of the Brandywine is not an issue at all.

I'm not saying you got bad advice, but an implied easement for ingress and egress is indeed well-established under Pennsylvania common law. There may have been other factors in your case that caused the attorney to offer the advice that was given, however in my opinion "popular belief" is consistent with the law:

Land surrounded by that of grantor or grantee. On a conveyance which leaves the land conveyed or retained surrounded by the land of the grantor or grantee, a way of necessity is implied in favor of the land-locked parcel, and where land is so situated that access to it from a highway cannot be had except over the land of the grantor, the grantee is entitled to a way of necessity over such intervening land.

-- 10 Pennsylvania Real Estate Law Encyclopedia, Section 420.

"It is a well-settled principle of law that, in the event property is conveyed and is so situated that access to it from the highway cannot be had except by passing over the remaining land of the grantor, then the grantee is entitled to a way of necessity over the lands of his grantor: Commonwealth v. Burford, 225 Pa. 93, 98." Borstnar v. Allegheny County, 332 Pa. 156 (Pa.1938); see also, Burns Mfg. Co. v. Boehm, 467 Pa. 307, 314 (Pa. 1976) and Bodman v. Bodman, 456 Pa. 412, 414, 321 A.2d 910, 912 (1974).

Here is a general law discussion that explains how the law may vary among the several states:

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/easement-by-necessity.html

Jack, in both of your cites the easment passes over the land of the grantor. It sounds like the property afishianado looked at was surrounded by property owned by a third party.

Thanks Jack.........The lawyer in question said in no uncertain terms, that according to the law, the landowner was not compelled to allow me access to that parcel of land.

Them dang lawyers, they'll do anything for a buck!!!

When the landlocked parcel is first created, if it is landlocked at that time, the parcel from which it is cut is deemed to have granted the ingress/egress easement. It is a subservient tentament and is "encumbered" by the easement in perpetuity so long as the necessity exists. The landlocked parcel has the easement "appurtenent" to it, meaning it is attached to the land, and as such is then passed through to subsequent title holders.

If a public road is created or another means of ingress/egress arises, then the implied easement evaporates. However, though none of the cases probably state it, my understanding is that if the original grant whereby the landlock parcel was conveyed EXPLICITLY negates any ingress or egress easement, then one will not arise by implication. Perhaps this was the case.

Back