prince nymph soft hackle

simplefish

simplefish

I was wondering if the majority of tiers out there tie a soft hackle into your prince nymphs. I have been tying them without the hackle. Just curious.

I got rid of the hackle after I read about the Go2prince in a magazine a year or two ago. It's a prince with a very small white poly wing. I found that I don't really need the hackle to catch fish with the fly.

I agree Jay. I've been using the hackle-less nymph for a while now, and they have been productive for me. I have also thought that the hackle might not get the nymph as deep in the water column. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something.

I've been using the Go2prince that Jay mentioned but I substitute cdc for the poly. Trout seem to like it.

I do both.
However, I have found the opposite.
For mine, the trout seem to prefer the hackled ones, and especially the ones with gold beads.

(these are stocked trout)

Can be used during Iso(Slate Drake) hatches- on the swing.

I love soft hackle and use it on my caddis larvae...The wild browns at Valley seem to be in love with it.

I agree though... I have tied some prince nymphs without it and they still worked. Either way I don't think it matters from my own experience.

Coincidentally, I just tied a batch of Princes - with and without beads. I like to tie and use them with a small beard of partridge hackle.

Back