Primer on Streamers for Small Streams

RCFetter

RCFetter

I searched back 16 months and did not find a thread on the subject.

Excluding wooly buggers (there is a very good recent thread on them) what are the best streamers and size for a stream about the size of the Little Lehigh.

I have the impression that classical streamers (excluding marabou muddlers) such as royal coachman, black nose dance and black ghost are not very popular.

I use the black-nosed dace with good results on smaller streams. I just tie them in small sizes ie. 12 and 14. Don't overlook the mickey finn either. Both good flys IMO. Good luck.

My go to streamer pattern for small streams is called the Pick Pocket. This fly was featured many years ago in the Mid Atlantic Fly Fisherman Magazine by Mike O'Brian. I tied some of them up and my confidence level in the fly went through the roof due to the success that I had fishing it. I have fished it on freestone and limestone spring creeks with success on both. I do exceptionally well with it catching native brookies. The recipe for the Pick Pocket for small streams is as follows:

Hook: 3 XL nymph or 4 XL streamer hook, size #12
Thread: Black 6/0
Tail: Golden Pheasant Tippets
Body: Peacock Herl
Hackle: Grizzly (palmered over body)
Wing: Fox Squirrel Tail Hair
Head: Peacock Herl

As an option, throw on a gold, silver or copper beadhead for either weight or flash to mix it up a bit. But, IMO they fish just as well without.

Fish them upstream, downstream, dead drift, swing 'em, strip 'em. I really don't think there is a wrong way to fish this fly. I think the only way I havn't caught fish on this pattern was greasing it and fishing it on top, but I never tried it (it probably would work) Fish them till they fall apart. After a certain number of fish on the same fly either the Peacock Herl Head or the palmererd grizzly hackle will fail. Maybe some extra small ultra wire as a rib would be worth considering to increase durability. It is a version of the well known Picket Pin which is also an awesome pattern but this version has been a real fish catcher for me! Tight lines.

You can use whatever streamers you want. It's mainly a matter of personal preference. While the classic patterns aren't so popular anymore...they'll still catch fish. Limestone streams like Little Lehigh tend to have lots of sculpins so a dark olive or black streamer tends to work well. Personally, I like my small stream streamers to be tied with marabou and with dumbell eyes so as to ensure they ride hook upward (this reduces snags). I also like my streamers much on the heavy side. Again, it's largely a matter of preference.

Keep in mind that streams like the LL that have FF only regs only allow flies with single hooks.

Thanks guys. I have a lot of old streamers but this is my first year of fly fishing for trout. In the past I only used a fly rod in a boat for pan fish.

This is a great forum>

First, the Little Lehigh is NOT a small stream. I'd say it qualifies as a large stream, though I'd buy "medium".

I'm no expert on that water, but I wouldn't think streamer tactics would be any different than other large limestoners. I use streamers on limestoners a lot in the winter, and in the summer, anytime it gets up and colored. I personally like black, and usually go with a thick profile like a sculpin. Toss it to the banks, with a fair bit of weight so it "jigs" the bottom, dead drift it like a nymph then let it swing down around. Can be deadly on the bigger fish in the stream.

Back