Pressured Fish

mute

mute

Im sure we all came across a time when you just cant get the fish to bite. Mostly heavily pressured stocked fish. On a day like today, after the season opener, would be a prime example. Atleast in my case. THe fish get hammered all day before and today they got some lock jaw.

Although it seems that some guys still have all the luck, or skill? And they can still target and entice that certain fish theyre after to hit. Do you have any special flies or techniques you use?

One thing ill usually do is go smaller, if im still using standard nymphs or junk flies in the 14-16 range ill drop down to simplier and more natural patterns in the 18-20 range and it will usually be able to pick up a a few.

Fly Fishing Pressured Waters by Lyodd Gonzales
worth the read, got a hard cover off ebay for $10.

As far as my experience, if you get the presentation right, you'll get fish.

Whenever I fished the second day of the season on a stocked stream, I used spinners almost exclusively, looking for active fish.

I would assume a flashy streamer and a quick retrieve will draw a few hits.

Corn fished with no split shot is the best way to catch finicky fresh stockers. ;-)

IMO the best way to catch fish is with a refined presentation (mentioned above), no matter what tackle you use. The more you understand a stream, and it's hatches, etc., the better you will do. I made a point of fishing what I know to be one of the most heavily fished areas of French creek last Sat. It took me a little while to lock in on the right amount of weight and an effective fly, but as soon as I did I banged out four nice fish, despite the fact that the bait slingers were catching nothing. A sparsely tied no. 16 nymph was what it took. Unfortunately, I got cold and vacated my spot, and it was promptly taked by two chebs, who also caught nothing. Undaunted, I moved downstream and hooked another half doz. (landed four) in the first good run I found. Noticing there was a ton of caddis, I changed to a no. 18 soft hackle behind a bh pupa, on 6x flouro. They accounted for a few dozen more fish, mostly on the smaller fly, which resembles an emerging caddis. There were a ton of guys out, and I saw only a couple of trout get caught by the masses. If the fish have been in the water even a few days they have to eat, so show them something that looks like what is available.

JayL..............beside the Velveeta streamers and the Niblet nymphs , The way it almost alwaly works for me is to go real small on the fly and real light on the tippet then match that up with something that is present for food and you will fool them. The "pressure" put on them seem to make them more aware of what is fake. That's how some of them get to live through the early onslaught , one way of getting an education for the fish would be to get caught and released , they would seem to have to be a little wary the next time. Think of releasing a few trout as your contribution to their education.

Stocked fish in open water (ATW) are "suckers" for flies since they soon become wary of worms, eggs, Powerbait, corn, etc. dragged past them.

Stocked fish are "suckers" for bait in SR areas (poachers know this) when they soon become wary of dries, nymphs, wets and streamers.

This is why when i fish for stocked fish ill always start with the junk, like eggs trying to educate them on powerbait.

About 10:30 Sat. morning when the various brightly colored balls of powerbait go drifting by..........i call it the Powerbait Hatch.

Thats funny right there ^ hahaha

Back